It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 03:35 AM   #1
(male)

vaio HB User
lyme and blood tests

I was wondering if beside the classical lyme blood tests, are any anomalies in the routine blood tests such as SED rate, WBC, CPR or others in a patient with lyme?

Old 08-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: lyme and blood tests

Hi vaio. Some people who have Lyme have normal blood counts, some do not.

Do you have Lyme?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
(male)

nebakenezer HB User

Probably not. CRP, WBC, and Sed Rate may or may not be elevated. From what I've read on here, this disease seems to wax and wane a bit. So, maybe if you were feeling especially achy and arthritic one day, maybe your sed or CRP might be elevated or not. From what I've read here and other places lately, even the "classic" lyme tests are not all that great, either. One article said the ELISA antibody test (which is what you will most certainly get done at the lab if your doctor just writes 'Lyme Test' or 'Lyme Screen" or even 'Lyme Panel' on his prescription pad-- trust me on this one) can have a 70% false negative rate, meaning it could call up to 70% of patients who are actually postives as negatives, sending them into the typical doctor to doctor shuffle and delaying treatment for years. I read another article were a known confirmed positive ("hot") specimen was sent to 100 or so labs and more than half of them reported the result as negative (I believe this ELISA method was used).
If there were any really GOOD tests, then good treatments would most certainly follow and then this disease probably wouldn't even be an issue.

Hopefully things get better. Things need to for lots of medical conditions, but as long governments spend trillions on wars fueled by oil lust, corporate greed, and fear mongering---then these TRULY important things like education, disease research, feeding hungry children, etc---these are the things that get put on the backburner.

Things have to get better.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

The only tests I had that didn't come back negative were my Epstein-Barr levels (were off the chart), quirky brainwave in my EEG (neurologist couldn't explain it...some good he was) and a "quirky" EMG (neurologist couldn't explain that one either).

When I was at my worst I was anemic and had small red blood cells. I was checked again a few months ago and they're back to normal.

Closed Thread