It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

TEARS1998 HB User
Unhappy Just Wondering ????

Does anyone have a problem with eating certain things? I'm trying to keep a journal, but it's getting very long on the do not eat side, after eating my abdomen swells as if I'm 9 months pregnant and is very painful !!!! Also burp alot but that doesn't relieve pain or swelling! Does anyone know is this a symptom of lyme or could it be something going on on the side ? Also have a metal taste in my mouth and nausea, again been pretty sick today ! Dear God I'm running out of options as to what I can eat !!!!!!! Any suggestions or ideas would be very appreciated

Old 08-26-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
(male)

nebakenezer HB User
Re: Just Wondering ????

Have you ever been tested for Celiac Disease? Some of the symptoms of celiac are very similiar to lyme---most people think celiac is just a bunch of diarrhea stuff the same as lyme is just a bullseye rash that is cured by a quick dose of anitbiotics. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that is treated by not eating GLUTEN or anything containing gluten---namely wheat, barely or rye, I believe. That sounds simple until you consider all of the things that contain this. Cakes, cookies, breadings, spaghetti, bread, cereal, flour tortillas...lots of stuff. And then, the real problem is that gluten is a 'hidden' ingredient in many sauces, salad dressings, etc so it involves quite a bit of label checking to truly avoid it. Try to see if this bloating happens after eating gluten products or try cutting it out of your diet for awhile and see if anything improves (i've heard this could take up to a few weeks.) Doctors could run blood tests for this by checking for gliadin, endomysial, total tissue transglutamase (TTG) antibodies, I think. Like lyme, I think the celiac people are picky about the blood test and recommend a certain lab in Texas...Enterolab or something. Maybe go over to a celiac message board and ask them about it to get really good info. If you don't think it is gluten, I would try dairy products as the nexts possible culprit. Also, how is your gallbladder? Might also be worth looking into.

I'm not sure if this is acceptable on this message board or not but I copied a list of celiac symptoms from mayoclinic.com (in bold) and posted below. Notice that celiac even involves a rash amongst other things that are similiar to lyme.

Signs and symptoms
There are no typical signs and symptoms of celiac disease. Most people with the disease have general complaints, such as intermittent diarrhea, abdominal pain and bloating. Sometimes people with celiac disease may have no gastrointestinal symptoms at all. Celiac disease symptoms can also mimic those of other conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome, gastric ulcers, Crohn's disease, parasite infections, anemia, skin disorders or a nervous condition.

Celiac disease may also present itself in less obvious ways, including irritability or depression, anemia, stomach upset, joint pain, muscle cramps, skin rash, mouth sores, dental and bone disorders (such as osteoporosis), and tingling in the legs and feet (neuropathy).

Some indications of malabsorption that may result from celiac disease include:

Weight loss
Diarrhea
Abdominal cramps, gas and bloating
General weakness
Foul-smelling or grayish stools that may be fatty or oily
Stunted growth (in children)
Osteoporosis
Dermatitis herpetiformis is an itchy, blistering skin disease that also stems from gluten intolerance. The rash usually occurs on the elbows, knees and buttocks. Dermatitis herpetiformis can cause significant intestinal damage identical to that of celiac disease. However, it may not produce noticeable digestive symptoms. This disease is treated with a gluten-free diet, in addition to medication to control the rash.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
(female)

TEARS1998 HB User

I don't have my gall bladder it was removed july 05 that's when I started having problems as to my eating! I definately don't have diarrhea.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Hey,

Last December I had an endoscopy to check for Celiac. I had all the symptoms...stomach/abdomen pain, severe acid reflux, ibs etc etc etc.

They did biopsies and everything came back normal (of course). BUT, they did say that I had moderate swelling in my small intestine from unknown origins. I told them that I thought I had Lyme's Disease and the doc said, "Well, that would explain the swelling." It was amazing to see a GI doc who knew about the effects of Lyme Disease in the GI system.

I also get the metallic taste in my mouth too. I have no idea where it comes from...it's gross.

Closed Thread