It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User
Amiloo- Dr Phillips?

Hi Amiloo-

did you ever get that appt with Dr Phillips? Have you had it yet?

Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
(female)

Aimiloo HB User
Re: Amiloo- Dr Phillips?

You know i have SO been struggling mentally with this......i'm still not sure what to do. Financially I feel like I should see the Dr. here, that he's helped a lot of people I know and yet I hear conflicting things. Then I think I need to see Dr. P.

I'm SO torn, i know I can't be going back and forth to CT all the time BUT I want to do it right. I am going to call Dr. P's office and see what I would need to do before seeing him. I don't want to drive all the way for a 15 min convo and for him to send me for tests and then to have to wait and go back whenever.

:/

I'm seriously struggling with this. I do know the longer I wait the worse off I am!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Dr. Phillips is very thorough, he won't only spend 15 minutes with you. He also will do phone consults in between visits, my phone consults usually lasted about 45 minutes, and again very thorough. He likes you to keep a jounal and know exactly when symptoms worsen, flare-up or new symptoms emerge. this is how he gauges how well the ABX's are working and if they need to be changed up. He doesn't just do lab work, send you off and then fill you full of ABX's every month without monitoring you. My first visit with him seemed like a wirlwind because, first I was late, I was staying in New Haven by Dr. Jones office for my son. I was told it was only a 40 minute drive from New Haven to Wilton, it is except in the morning on 95, when everyone is trying to get to NY. then I got stuck in road constuction on Danbury RD. It took me 1 1/2 hours to get there. Then I also had my son with me, who was being a distraction, and had an MRI/SPECT scheduled and the nurse kept calling me from the hospital, while I was in Dr. P's office. And the biggest reason is, I didn't know anything about Lyme disease, herxing, ABX's nothing. these things were not Dr. P's fault , they were mine! the best way to be able to help yourself and your doctor is to learn everything you can. Now when I talk to my doc's I am knowledgable and we can intellegently discuss treatment options and I actually understand what they are talking about. Dr. P is an excellent LLMD, he will not let you fall to the wasteside, and he will not re-fill your ABX's unless you have an appt. or you have a phone consult. He does this because he cares and wants to make sure that his patients are taken care of. He also is very adhement about checking blood levels, CBC, Liver, etc, regularly, so you don't have to wonder if your liver is being fried without you knowing. I wish that I lived within driving distance, I was flying from Texas to see him, and cannot afford the flights anymore plus my INS would not pay ANY part of my visits or my phone consults to see Dr P, and my son and husband also have Lyme, it is an expensive disease. I'm sorry that you are going through this. But if you want outstanding treatment, he is the LLMD to see. good Luck, Sarah

Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

THANK YOU Sarah!

What did you have to do before your appointment? I haven't called his office yet, but was just curious as I have not had any recent lab work done (i have, just not lyme specific). Had you?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

I agree, Dr. Phillips comes very highly recommended.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimiloo View Post
THANK YOU Sarah!

What did you have to do before your appointment? I haven't called his office yet, but was just curious as I have not had any recent lab work done (i have, just not lyme specific). Had you?
I had my IGenex testing before I went to see him. I ordered the kit from IGenex and had my Family doctor sign it. But you do not have to do this. I didn't have Dr. P's name until after I had the testing already ordered. He was a referral from Dr. Jones, my son's LLMD. Dr.P will have you tested through IGenex and he will also give you a lab order to take to *******, he has a list of their offices and directions. His office is very helpful when you have ?'s and they will fax you lab results, unlike some offices I've been to. You will really like him. Just make a timeline of when your symptoms started and everything that you have gone through. You can fax it to his office ahead of time so that he can go over it before you arrive, that saves time. He will most likely want you to have an EKG before starting ABX's. He had mine faxed from my Cardiologist before he would prescribe ABX's. It does not take months to get in to see him either, which is nice!! Good Luck and i you need anything else just ask, Sarah

Old 08-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

Thanks Sarah,

I'm just trying to cut down the travel. I actually had an EKG done recently up here when I was in the ER with chest pains a while ago....I'm not sure if that is in my ER records or not, but i'd hope so! It read fine. I also had an echo done in London about 3 months ago as well and have the results from that! I can always fax them over that stuff.

Ok, I think I just need to get on the ball and call him. For some reason i'm nervous. My husband and I did have a big talk on this, with me deciding to go to a dr. that takes insurance but might not be right for me or to him for more comprehensive treatment and we decided paying for the dr. appointment is worth it.

One more Q: is your medicine covered by insurance? That's my biggest concernt, paying for both the appt and meds. I would think it would be, at least for a while, even if the dr doesn't take insurance?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

I understand about being nervous. And about the INS. issues. My INS. paid for the ABX's up until a week ago. So I made it alsmost a year. But I have really crappy INS. My son is on different INS and they haven't cut him off yet. He takes exactly the same ABX's as I do, so it is all up to the INS. co how long they want to pay. All of the ABX's that Dr. P presrcibed were available in generic form, so that does help with the cost, if you have a pres. card that has a copay for generics. You also need to be taking pro-biotics and magnesium while on the ABX's and I would also suggest a real good B12. Good Luck, Sarah

Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

i seriously am being a freak here, why can't i just call and make the appointment?!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

You are scared, and that is nothing to be ashamed of. I tried for 6 months to get my husband to get tested for Lyme, he even went with me to my appt. with Dr.P, and he still wouldn't agree to the testing. I finally convinced him to get tested last month, and he was CDC/IgeneX positive. He kept telling me that he didn't want to know because than he would have more to worry about. And was afraid to end up like me.This is a very bad way of thinking. the sooner that you can get treatment the less damage this bacterium can cause. It is imparative to act now. I'm not trying to scare you, or maybe I am, to get you to overcome your fear and take control of your situation and get the answeres now. You could wake up tomorrow and have Bell's palsy or Menengitis or have other types of nerve damage. the longer this goes untreated the worse it will get. Please go see Dr P! Sincerely, Sarah

Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

Sarah,

i've had bells, i've been suffering with this stuff for 8 years and i'm finally ready to do something about it.

But i'm having issues finding his phone number online! the man is in too many helath journals and articles!

I'm working on it though!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

I am so sorry to hear that, then you do know what type of damage it can do. I have had it for 10 years, my son for 7, and we have went through hell. we didn't get diagnosed until last Oct. Yes Dr. P does alot of research and speaks at confrences. Call Dr. Jones's office and they will give you his number. dr. P is in Wilton CT, if that helps at all. Sarah

Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

I found it. thanks.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimiloo View Post
I found it. thanks.
Good Luck, you will not regret seeing him!! Call today, he is closed tomorrow!! Sarah

Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

I got it, October 22nd at 10am. the 17th was the first available although they were going to put me on a cancel list. But truthfully, this is great for me.

Closed Thread