It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
(male)

OneWorld HB User
What do you think? Lyme or Not!

Thanks in advance for looking and responding. This is my most recent blood results. Just finished 1 month of Doxy and now 2 weeks after being off meds started with all the same symptoms as before. Dr. says I have Lyme. Put me back on another month of meds. Thought I would post it on web and get some down to earth opinions. Found some great posting on healthboard.com but am still little confused. Any information would be great. Thanks again.

Borrelia burgdorferi Antibody Screen w/IgG and 1gM by Western Blot
Lyme Disease Screen <0.91 < OR = 0.90
Lyme Disease Interpret. NEGATIVE NOTE
Reference ranges:
< or = 0.90
0.91 to 1.09
> or = 1.10
Lyme Disease
Lyme Disease Screen <.91
Lyrne Disease Interpret. NEGATIVE
Reference ranges:
< or = 0.90 Negative
0.91 to 1.09 Equivocal
> or = 1.10 Positive

Page 1: Continued on Page 2
Lyme Disease (IgG),WB
18 KD (IgG) band NEGATIVE
23 KD (IgG) band REACTIVE
28 KD (IgG) band REACTIVE
30 KD (IgG) band NON-REACTIVE
39 KD (IgG) band NON-REACTIVE
41 KD (IgG) band REACTIVE
45 KD (IgG) band NON- REACTIVE
58 KD (IgG) band NON- REACTIVE
66 KD (IgG) band NON- REACTIVE
93 KD (IgG) band NON- REACTIVE

Lyme Disease (IgN),WB POSITIVE ABN NEGATIVE
23 kD (1gM) band REACTIVE ABN
39 kID (1gM) band NON-REACTIVE
41 kD (1gM) band REACTIVE ABN NOTE
* End of Final Report *

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
(male)

OneWorld HB User
Re: What do you think? Lyme or Not!

Oh and I have fair amount of symptoms like stiff neck, headache, joint pain ect. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi OneWorld, welcome to the board!

How long have you been sick? What dose of Doxy did you take? I am going to post the Western Blot breakdown in a separate answer.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. Have you been tested for these?

From what I understand, one month of treatment is never long enough for Lyme even if the infection was caught within two weeks of the bite.

If you would like a doctor recommendation, let us know.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses (on-line). He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi OneWorld. Below is the breakdown of the Western Blot bands:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia
12 specific for Bb
18 unknown
20 cross-reactive for Borrellia
21 unknown
22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band
23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb
28 unknown
30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and
one California strain
31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb
34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb
35 specific for Bb
37 specific for Bb
38 cross-reactive for Bb
39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb
41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia
45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have
this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)
50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein
60 cross reactive for all Borrellia
66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria
83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane
93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

The IgM tests for a more recent infection and the IgG a longer standing one. The CDC requires several bands to be present for the test to be positive; however many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands. Lyme doctors often look at which bands show. Some are specific for Lyme.

Band 41 is often the first to show, and yours is positive. Bands 23-25 is a Lyme specific band and yours is positive. IgeneX uses more sensitive testing and lists more bands on the Western Blot. I think your results are significant.

My advice would be for you to be evaluated by a Lyme doctor and get tested for all the co-infections.

What dose of Doxy are you taking?

Be aware of the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks.

It is a good idea to document your symptoms daily. One way to do this is to list the three main symptoms you have each day and a numerical rating of their severity, from 1-10. Over time when you review this, you can see when your herxes occur and how you are responding to the meds.

Hang in there okay?

Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
(male)

OneWorld HB User

Thank you very much for your reply. July 6th was when major flu like symptoms showed up and knocked me out. following week started 35 days of 100mg 2x a day of Doxy. Off med's for 2 weeks and same symptoms showed back up and now Dr. has put me on 100mg 2x a day for 30 days. My symptoms have been, Stiff neck, headache, stiff joints, chills, crawling under skin & in few locations burnng spots on my arm and hip. I have had no rash nore removed tick from bite. I did how ever remove very small deer tick walking along my foot. I live in northeast CT and work out doors and see deer in my back yard all the time. Thanks again, gotta go and try to make another day of work.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi OneWorld. It sounds like your infection is early, which is good. Early infections are the easiest to cure.

200 mg of Doxy is not strong enough for Lyme. I believe the recommended dose is 300-600 mg daily. A few tips about Doxy: do not have any dairy, magnesium or iron products two hours before or after taking it or it will not be absorbed properly. If it makes you nauseous, eat something substantial and non-dairy before taking it. Avoid the sun. You can get a severe burn in minutes even when wearing sunscreen. Do not lay down for at least an hour after taking it or you can ulcerate your esophagus. This is very painful! Drink a full glass of water when you take it for the same reason.

Whenever you take any antibiotics, make sure you take high-quality acidophilus capsules. They replace the good bacteria in the body and help to prevent yeast overgrowth. The best ones to get are refrigerated. Most healthfood stores have them. Wait at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotics to take the acidophilus.

Although a bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease, only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash. Many people are bitten by ticks without knowing it.

I recommend seeing a Lyme doctor so you can get proper treatment and be tested for all the co-infections. Dr. Steven Phillips in Wilton, CT comes very highly recommended.

Hang in there okay?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
(male)

OneWorld HB User

Sorry took so long to put up a thank you for all the information. Still taking my Doxy 2 x day. I'm still not feeling normal. Just cant wait to finish this med. But anyhow thanks again for all the help and information.

Closed Thread