It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

marline HB User
Does this sound like lyme or ms?

In May of 06 I started to get real weak and got a headache that was never ending. My symptoms at this time were, tingling, pins and needles, weakness, fatigue, neck pain and some more things. This lasted for a full 3 months, at this time I got a brain and c- spine mri with no contrast and it was normal. My neuro said no chance of ms. My mri of spine showed 2 bulging disks, everyone was quick to blame all my symptoms on the disks but neuro said that the disks would not cause all these symptoms, he blamed it on anxiety.

My symptoms were gone in 3 months and soon after I had pain my eyes, sharp, dull pain behind my eye and it felt very scratchy for a good month.
I went to the ophthmalogist and they said my eyes were just fine.

Soon after the eye pain was gone. I had no symptoms until Feb 07, at this time I knew that something was definetley wrong with me. My symptoms were, tingling, pins and needles, twitching, insomnia, headaches, face pain, itching, muscle pain, muscle weakness, my eye would at times see double, major neck and shoulder pain, pain in my mid back, burning feet, hot and cold sensations, some nights right when I was about to sleep I would get a whole body jerk, again I went to the neuro and did a mri of brain with no contrast and it was normal, my neuro again said no ms. Soon my symptoms were gone. All blood work is normal too. Lyme was negative too.

I found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant and just last week I got another symptom. My body is in so much pain, my legs and arms are burning with pain from the inside and hurt so bad, my back and neck is killing me. I know these are not pregnancy symptoms. I am unable to even get of bed, this is just been so horrible for me.

I can't even take medication because I am pregnant. Also if I do have ms, I thought pregnancy puts your symptoms in remission.

What do you all think, are my symptoms pointing to ms or lyme?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Does this sound like lyme or ms?

Hi Marline. Sorry for all the pain you are going through. The scary thing is, is that Lyme and M.S. and so many other conditions sound so much alike. I don't have M.S. I have Lyme so I could tell you that your symptoms sound so much like what I went through. "IF" I were you I would post a new thread and ask if anyone knows of a Lyme doctor near you and get on the proper treatment. Especially if you are pregnant. You truly do not want to mess around with Lyme and having a baby.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:35 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Hi Marlene- I agree with jojo-

The symptoms do sound very much like what so many of us go through. My docs were pursuing the MS path for 8 months but finally told me it was in my head. I found the Lyme symptom list from Dr Burrascano, found an LLMD and I was finally diagnosed with Lyme in July. It was such a relief to know something ws medically wrong and it had a name!

Read up as much as you can. Ticker will provide great info and know we are here for you 24x7!

God luck!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
(female)

sirp HB User

I'm kind of curious as how anyone with Lyme would not know they had been bitten by a tick???
How long was it before there were symptoms?

I've had 3 encounters with them over the past 20 years & in all 3 cases I saw these critters on me.

I've been concerned since actually being 'bitten' by one last year in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My husband's nephew's wife was given a diagnosis of lupus a few years ago after deer hunting with her husband. She was in a lot of pain for many months.
They don't have really good doctors in the UP where they live. I have to wonder if she was diagnosed correctly anyway. Her doctor would only prescribe Motrin for her so she was using the Motrin with beer chasers....doctors up there don't like to prescribe narcotics, even for those dying of cancer.

Anway, I have similar symptoms as mentioned above but believe it to be caused by my spinal problems I've been dealing with for most of my life.
I wish you all the best ....I hope someone can help me find some answers to my pain problem too. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
(female)

sirp HB User
Smile Re: Does this sound like lyme or ms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marline View Post
In May of 06 I started to get real weak and got a headache that was never ending. My symptoms at this time were, tingling, pins and needles, weakness, fatigue, neck pain and some more things. This lasted for a full 3 months, at this time I got a brain and c- spine mri with no contrast and it was normal. My neuro said no chance of ms. My mri of spine showed 2 bulging disks, everyone was quick to blame all my symptoms on the disks but neuro said that the disks would not cause all these symptoms, he blamed it on anxiety.

I had no symptoms until Feb 07, at this time I knew that something was definetley wrong with me. My symptoms were, tingling, pins and needles, twitching, insomnia, headaches, face pain, itching, muscle pain, muscle weakness, my eye would at times see double, major neck and shoulder pain, pain in my mid back, burning feet, hot and cold sensations, some nights right when I was about to sleep I would get a whole body jerk, again I went to the neuro and did a mri of brain with no contrast and it was normal, my neuro again said no ms. Soon my symptoms were gone. All blood work is normal too. Lyme was negative too.

I can't even take medication because I am pregnant. Also if I do have ms, I thought pregnancy puts your symptoms in remission.

What do you all think, are my symptoms pointing to ms or lyme?
I'm guessing you have given birth or are near due date....I just read this posting for the 1st time today.
I wanted to add that it's dangerous to an unborn baby if one has Lyme & not get treatment while pregnant. But you stated you had negative results for Lyme disease.
And..... just because one is pregnant doen't mean they can't take any medications. It is up to your obstetrician to determine what you may or may not take during pregnancy & afterwards if you are going to breast feed.

My kids turned out just fine & I was taking medications during all 3 of my pregnancies ....one which could have caused a heart defect had I abused it.

I also had oral surgery during one pregnancy and was taking antibiotics. During the 3rd pregnancy my 2nd daughter & I developed boils which we were treated for with antibiotics.

Talk to your doctor & pharmacist but especially your pharmacist who is an expert.

One more thing...the whole body jerk when going to sleep is quite normal...ie: a good thing...it means you are relaxed.

I'm more inclined to think it's a spinal issue and anxiety ....and possibly the beginning of spinal stenosis but I'm not a doctor.
I was told by a neurologist many years ago that I would need to be very careful of my spine.
My arms tingle from the C-spine issues...I had 2 disks removed which have now caused worsening of the condition because the other disks are now bulged. I now wish I had sought a 3rd opinion before I had this surgery.

I still get headaches (actually I don't call them headaches but head pain) & sometimes blurred vision caused by the same problem... disk disease.
When under stress I feel tightening in my right shoulder ... the pain travels up my neck until my entire head hurts.

In a MRI image I had done of my thoracic spine I can see a hole in a vertabra....this area is the source of a horrible itching which can quickly change to the feeling of having a lot of bees on my back stinging me.

I'm well beyond child bearing age but have had back problems since childhood when I was in a car accident....there's a fragment in my lower back that bothers me from time to time although the symptoms have changed. I no longer have spasms that required hospitilization.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi sirp, welcome to the board!

There is a Lyme doctor in Saginaw, MI. Would you like the name for the woman you know?

Many people are bitten by ticks without knowing it. They are tiny, and they inject a numbing agent so you cannot feel them on you. They often go in very hard to see places. How did you remove the ticks you had?

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

If you think you could have Lyme, it is important to see a knowledgeable doctor. No test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses (on-line). He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease
(2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

Last edited by ticker; 09-01-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
(female)

sirp HB User

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.

I'm not sure how my husband got it off me...he's not at home to ask...it was on my back. I know it didn't feel good...whatever he did as it was attached pretty firmly.

I kept the little bugger in a film canister so I could show my daughter what they look like when she came up to visit us.
They may be small but aren't invisible unless of course they're in a place you can't see them.

The others were just crawling on my legs as I recall..that was a looong time ago.

The gal who got sick is doing better now....but she sure looked really bad for a long time.

The list of symptoms also matches many other conditions. I can understand better why anyone would be asking for sure!
I guess the key here would be symptoms that are unusual to the individual.

I have narcolepsy so am tired a good deal of the time anyway + the spinal problems & resulting pain wear me out too.
I'm going through 'the change' & often have night sweats.

One thing I found out after doing a bit of searching was there is supposed to be some kind of rash which I don't have & never did.

I did mention my tick bite to my doctor when we got back from MI but she didn't comment.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi sirp. If a tick is removed improperly, it can increase the chance of infectinon.

For furture reference, the only safe way to remove one is by using tweezers and grasping the mouthparts as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight back. Do not put anything on it such as alchohol, Vaseline, fingernail polish, etc. Do not burn it with a hot match. These things will irritate it, and it will regurgitate into the blood. Do not pull it off with fingers. This squeezes the body making it like a syringe. Save the tick, it can be tested at IgeneX Lab in Palo Alto, CA.

Although a bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease, only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash. Yes, the symptoms can fit many different diseases. The co-infection Babesiosis is similar to malaria and can cause night sweats. Menopause can too of course.

In my opinion, to rule out or confirm Lyme disease it is important to see a knowledgeable doctor. If you would like a doctor recommendaiton, let us know.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Sirp, you mentioned that you have narcolepsy, it is not commonly mentioned but that also is a Lyme symptom, my son's LLMD tested him for it, but most LLMD's do not. I would seriously consider getting tested by IGeneX for Lyme and co-infections, good luck, Sarah

Old 09-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi ..I had to quit work back in 1999 cause I kept passing out at the wheel...but would then have problems sleeping at night...I never had any one say it was narcolepsy...My doctor said it was part of Lyme...I don't have this problem anymore since I have been on treatment...

Good Luck!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:37 AM   #11
(female)

sirp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah92202 View Post
Sirp, you mentioned that you have narcolepsy, it is not commonly mentioned but that also is a Lyme symptom, my son's LLMD tested him for it, but most LLMD's do not. I would seriously consider getting tested by IGeneX for Lyme and co-infections, good luck, Sarah
Narcolepsy is a condition I've had since I was about 14. I had never been bitten by a tick at that time. The tests for narcolepsy are sleep studies.
I'm certain I don't have Lyme. I never got the rash which would be a red flag.
I get rashes &/or bumps from darn near everything that bites me!

All those symptoms listed could also be associated with many other illnesses such as the flu which both my husband & I have had twice & never want to have again.
I work in a hospital where it's really easy to get sick...that's why they test there every year for TB! We've had some very scary illnesses treated there too.

Everything that's wrong with me I either inherited it or brought on myself for living this long!
For every action there's a reaction.
Thanks, Priscilla

Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #12
(female)

marline HB User

Sirp,

Thanks for your reply. I am 8 weeks pregnant, no where near due date yet. I am visiting a LLMD this weekend to get all tests done. The blood test I originally took with my neuro was not an accurate test. I just need to figure out what in the heck is wrong with me. I know that if I have lyme and it is untreated it could do harm to my baby, that's why I made the emergency appt. I sure hope this gets resolved soon. I will keep everyone posted after my visit.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck marline. Let us know how your appointment goes okay?

Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 AM   #14
(female)

sirp HB User

I also wanted to ask, are the tingling sensations & pins & needles in your arms and/or hands?
Priscilla

Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
(female)

marline HB User

I believe on and off they have been in my hands and arms.

Closed Thread