It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
(female)

marline HB User
Do lyme symptoms come and go?

Do symptoms come and then go into remission? How long can symptoms last for?

Also if you have lyme and dont know about it and get pregnant, can that effect the baby?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User
Re: Do lyme symptoms come and go?

Hi,

Welcome to the board.

Yes, symptoms can come and go. The infection can go dormant while remaining in the body only to re-emerge later. This is especially common if the immune system becomes supressed due to stress, other illness, etc.

Lyme has been shown to be communicable via trans-placental transmission.

This was first documented in 1985. For the actual study, see "Maternal-fetal transmission of the Lyme disease spirochete Borrelia bergdorferi." Annals of Internal Medicine, Vol. 103 p. 67-68 Schlesinger et al. (1985)

The Annals of Internal Medicine became the first medical journal to publish an article describing a case of maternal/fetal transmission that resulted in the death of the infant. The baby died shortly after birth and the Lyme organisms were found in the baby's spleen, kidneys, and bone marrow. Source: Schlesinger et al. (1985)

If the child is born with Lyme it can have serious health problems. I personally know a woman who did transmit it to her children (they had saved the cord blood- the Lyme bacteria were found in the cord blood). This can be prevented with proper medication during pregnancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Bill S HB User

Definitely symptoms can come and go. You might want to graph out your symtoms and their severity; eventually you may see a cycle; many folk get an increase every 4 weeks or so when the bacteria reproduce/die.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Hi Marlene- one of the top neuros in the country told me that my sx look like MS but they move around too much. 3Love had the same comment from her docs (positive IGenex this week). I also had what Bill described. Every 4 weeks my symptoms would spike and then plateau at a higher level than previous. Good luck in finding a LLMD- you may have to travel but it is worth it!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

YES! symptoms can some and go, sometimes lasting only minutes (which makes you think to yourself, "am I imagining it? could it be all in my head like the docs say it is?") I had so many symptoms going on that I had to stop writing them down....it was driving me nuts! Lyme can waxe and wane in your body!

Good luck,
J

Closed Thread