It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
(female)

sallie61 HB User
I am pretty sure it is lyme...

Thanks to everyone for your respones, when i was about 9 yrs (now 45) I had a tick in my leg and my dad burned it off, could I have lyme from that incident? Does anyone know how long it takes to get the results?

Old 08-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: I am pretty sure it is lyme...

Hi Sallie. Many people have Lyme for years before getting diagnosed. It is possible the tick you had when you were young infected you and it is also possible you were bitten again. Many people are bitten by ticks without knowing it. They are tiny and injfect a numbing agent so you cannot feel them on you.

For future reference, the only safe way to remove a tick is with tweezers by grasping its mouthparts as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight back. Do not put any substance on it (Vaseline, nail polish remover, alcohol, soap etc). Do not burn it with a hot match. Any of these methods will irritate the tick and it will regurgitate into your blood. This will increase the risk of infection.

Pulling it off with your fingers is dangerous because it makes the tick like a syringe with its fluids being squeezed into the bloodstream. Also, some tick-borne infections such as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can be transmitted by the hands coming into contact with the tick's saliva. Save the tick in a Ziploc bag or film canister. It can be tested for disease at IgeneX lab in Palo Alto, CA.

If you were tested at IgeneX, it can take about three weeks to get results back. I don't know how long it takes at other labs. What test was done and at which lab?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

sallie61 HB User

Thank you so much for the info, My appt. is sept.4th, I do not know what lab is used, I go to Loma Linda and I have IEHP, not the best insurance but better than none I guess

Old 08-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

mctassi HB User

Hi sallie,
If you are going to a regular doctor, primary care, ect. The test you will most likely get is an elisa. It's a screening test. If the elisa reacts then a western blot is done. The elisa is not accurate according to the lyme community. The lady on GMA interview was repeatly neg. for lyme. If your elisa comes up neg. don't give up on lyme. I would call IgeneX and get a test kit sent to you. Any MD can write the order for you. IgeneX sends the order form with the kit. All your doc has to do is sign it.
There are LLMD's in CA. you may be able to find one that takes your insurance. Good luck mc

Closed Thread