It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Teenage Girl in our area died from Erlichiosis

I read a sad story today that a local girl died from Erlichiosis. They didn't know what killed her until they did the autopsy. She was ony 15. Talk about tragic.

My pharmacist said that he's seeing a ton of Lyme Disease people at his pharmacy this year. Things are getting out of control.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User
Re: Teenage Girl in our area died from Erlichiosis

That is very sad. There really needs to be more spotlight on tick-bourne diseases. Maybe that girl could have been treated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Yes, her death was completely uneccessary. If they would have figured out she had Erlichiosis, they could have treated her and she'd be alive today. I can't imagine the torture her parents are going through right now.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

This just does not need to be happening!

Prayer's to the family!

Old 08-31-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

this is so sad, my son is that age and I can't imagine how I would feel if he had died from untreated Lyme or it's co-infections. And it still scares me everyday that he is not completely well yet. It also just drives me crazy that that Wormser made it seem like Lyme is such an easily treated disease, that all you have to do is go to your doctor and get on 4 weeks of ABX's and then you are fine, this is such crap!! most doctors don't even consider Lyme, let alone treat people for it. You know there are thousands of people walking around with Lyme that have no idea what is wrong with them, and even if they mention Lyme to their doc's, the doc's blow it off. I'm having my son retested for co-infections next month, he was tested through IGeneX and Quest for co-infectionsand all were negative, but maybe there just weren't any antibodies floating around in those samples. It is so scary.
KeyLyme are you going to take your kids to see Dr. J? sarah

Old 08-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi KeyLyme. A seven year old girl died from Ehrlichisois in MO a couple of months ago and now this girl has died.

The article about it said Ehrlichiosis is a rare disease. This misconception is costing precious lives. It is not rare. Because it is thought to be rare, it is often not checked early enough for treatment to be effective.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

My kids are going to a general practitioner in our city. He's being mentored by my LLMD. I talked w/ him for a long time and he seems to know what he's talking about. Plus, his wife and daughter had Lyme's too so he knows how horrible it is to find proper treatment.

Right now, my son is on 6 weeks of abx for the tick bite and rash (we caught it w/in a day of the rash). In a couple weeks, I'm going to take my daughter in to get tested. We're using Igenex.

Good luck on the coinfections test. I'll be praying if there's something there, it will come back a clear positive.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

How sad for this girls family...

I am wondering where this happened? Our dog tested positive for erlichiosis (HGE) this year. She spends most of her time in our yard which is wooded with an invisible fence. Our vet says they see a ton of Lyme disease. I am in MN which is endemic, but our States reporting is so far behind. If you look at a map of MN our county is shown as having low risk of Lyme... well then tell me how my whole family- husband, myself, and 2 boys all test positive.

Our neighbor boy had a bullseye rash and positive tests. He is 11. They gave him 3 weeks of amoxicillin. I tried to gently explain to his Mom that he was undertreated, but she is confident in their Dr. and was happy that he consulted with Mayo- great for cancer and other serious illnesses, yikes for Lyme.

Apparently he had a fever, which I have heard is most often indicative of either Babesia or Erlichiosis and not so much from JUST Lyme. Of course they didn't test him for any co-infections and he is feeling better now, but if he starts to have problems in a few months, then we all know where that leads.

I feel obligated to try and explain to her the importance of pushing harder on this, even perhaps having their Dr. consult with Dr. F at Columbia, but people just don't get it.

Last edited by Smyle; 09-01-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

It happened in Missouri...close to Kansas City. It's too bad about your neighbor's son. Well, you can only do what you can do.

Closed Thread