It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User
cdc vs igeneX.....

I just read my report today and it says that I am negative according to cdc and positive according to igeneX?!! What does that mean?!! How can you be negative and positive at the same time? I don't get it. Anyone else have a result like this and indeed have lyme? Now i'm starting to second guess my diagnosis, even tho my LLMD strongly believes I do have lyme.

Anyone?

J

Old 08-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: cdc vs igeneX.....

Hi 3Love....CDC expects more bands to be positive than Igenex does. If you have a positive and your LLMD says you have lyme according to your symptoms....Then yahoooo you have a diagnoises... Not many of use even get the positive by Ignex ...

Have you started treatment yet? Sounds like your search is pretty much over. I wish you a quick recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi J. There is no completely reliable test for Lyme disease. The CDC requires several bands to show for the Western Blot to be considered positive, yet many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands show. Lyme doctors often focus on which bands show, some are specific for Lyme.

In my opinion, the CDC is very behind the times regarding tick-borne illnesses.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

J, I am not CDC or IGeneX postive, but I have Lyme specific bands that are postive. You cannot have antibodies to the Lyme bacterium if you have never been exposed to it. It is very rare that I hear of someone being CDC pos. they have set their standards too high, and they even have a few non-specific bands that they trhow in there, why I don't know. But if you are IGeneX pos. then you have Lyme. It is good that you now know what is wrong with you, I am just sorry that it had to be Lyme. Keep us informed on what your doc does. Sarah

Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Thanks guys! The stupid cdc negative is stuck in my mind! my husband even tells me that if the Doctor said you have lyme, then you have lyme! She's the expert.

JoJo~doc put me on ceftin (but pharmacy did not carry brand name, had to take generic, called doc's office nurse said it's fine to take).

Ticker~ that is such a buch of crap! Why do you "need" to have so many bands to get a positive result, I would think if you don't have lyme why would any bands (for lyme) show up?!!

Sarah~ My doctor asked me if i have had a vaccine of some sort and I said no, she said that sometimes if you have had a vaccine then band 31 (I think) would show positive. Because I haven't had the vaccine, then I sure do have lyme. The stupid cdc standards put doubt in our mind, when in fact, we should be relieved that we have a dx!!
Sarah, I know lyme is a terrible disease but I have to say, through my search (when trying to figure out what was wrong with me), I found much more worse diseases. So thank GOD that it is lyme!

J

Closed Thread