It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

JennJenn79 HB User
Exclamation Questions...

Hello,

The father of my son states that he cannot work until he is cleared to work by his doctor because of his Lyme Disease. I know a lot of the things that can happen to a person with Lyme Disease, but why would that prevent him from getting a desk job? Why would he need to have a doctor's clearance? Is it even legal for a company to deny him a job because of having Lyme Disease?

Basically I'm trying to figure out is my son's dad is lying to me or not. Cause he hasn't been working since 2005... He contracted Lyme Disease in 1998 and was able to hold jobs, and go to school up until I left him. Then his Lyme Disease escallated into more serious symptoms, and he could go to school, can't have a license, and supposedly now needs clearance from a doctor to get a job? Something just doesn't ring true to me.

Opinions?

Old 09-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User
Re: Questions...

How is he making a living? Is he on disability. I stressful moment in one's life can exhasperate the symptoms or cause on to come out of emission, this may be why he got worse after you left him. If he is experiencing Vertigo or vestibular neuritis than he would be unable to work or drive because of dizzy spells that could be very dangerous to himself and others. My Dad has this andwas not able to work or drive. He had to have his ENT sign a release for him to go back to work. He is working a desk job, but my mom drives him to work, and he still has fallen getting up from his desk, he falls and loses his balance frequently, but was denied disability so he had to go back to work. But in my opinion he shouldn't be working. This could be the case with your son's father, or he could just not want to pay child support. But Lyme can be a serious dibilitating disease and no one experiences it the same and it changes in severity. I am not able to work, even a desk job, because I am unable to sit for long periods of time. I can sit here and type for a while, but not for the long hours that a job requires. I am usually not even able to go to the movies or church. It is also alot harder for someone with Lyme to learn new things, we forget how to do things that we used to do, we get lost even in familiar places, we stumble with our words, and we deal with extreme fatigue and the hardship of never knowing how we will feel when we wake up each morning, some days horrible, some days better, all of these things can make it hard to hold down a job. and alot of times once you do strat to feel bettetr, and do take a job, the job causes you to become sick again. I know this sounds like excuses, but believe me I deal with this everyday of my life and I would much rather be a healthy working person than feel like I do, not only with the disease but the guilt that I carry knowing that I am unable to finacially help my family, and believe me I have tried to work again, and I make it about 3 weeks, and those 3 weeks are pure hell, and then I cannot physically even get out of bed. Hope this could be of some help to you. Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Questions...

Hi JennJenn, welcome to the board!

I think it is good you are tryring to understand. Lyme disease can be a very serious and debilitating disease. Many people who have Lyme are unable to work.

How long was he sick before he started treatment? Typically the longer someone has been infected, the longer treatment takes.

Besides Lyme disease ticks can transmit several other infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme lab such as IgeneX. Do you know if he has been tested for these?

I am posting a Lyme symptom list below to give you an idea of they symptoms it can cause. There can be any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

To see a list of neuropsychiatric and cognitive studies, see Columbia University's Overview of Neuropsychiatric Lyme.

I hope this helps. If you have other questions, let us know okay?

Last edited by ticker; 09-02-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Closed Thread