It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
(male)

Nexis HB User
Can you have lyme for many years with negative blood results?

I still have not been tested for Lyme since I now live in a very rare to none city for Lyme...

Yet someone mentioned that a place I lived up until four years ago is a red alert State for for lyme...Washington State is this true?

I had all sorts of antibody tests done, yet only my RF and C4 came out postive...

My doctor said if I had some kind of a bacterial infection, my CRP would be positive...

Is there any other blood panel test that would be a red flag besides the Western Blot???

My MRI and neck Xray is normal yet I have all the neurological symptoms related to Lyme...

Thank you!

Last edited by Nexis; 09-05-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Can you have lyme for many years with negative blood results?

Hi Nexis. Believe it or not, Lyme disease is in every state. It is the second fastest growing infectious disease in the US after AIDS, and it is the number one vector-borne disease.

Many doctors often believe that Lyme is not in a certain area. This ignorance is dangerous. I was told this also. This led to a delay in my diagnosis and I became much sicker than had if I would have started treatment when I saw this doctor.

No test for Lyme is completely reliable. Many people who have Lyme do not test positive. From what I understand, the ELISA or titer is the least reliable test and the one most doctors run first.

The Western Blot is a better test. On the Western Blot, the CDC requires a large number of bands to show for it to be considered positive yet many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands show. Lyme doctors often focus on which bands show, some are specific for Lyme. It is important to be tested by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. They have more sensitive tests and list more bands on the Western Blot.

Testing should be used as an aid in diagnosis not solely for diagnosis. A lyme knowledgeable doctor will not rely solely on test results to diagnose tick-borne illnesses.

To rule out or confirm Lyme disease, it is imporatant to see a knowledgeable doctor. If you need a recommendation, let us know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Below are some of the reasons why a test can produce a false negative.

In the largest Lyme disease trial ever conducted (for the Lyme disease vaccine trial for Lymerix) which included 10,000 participants, it was found that 36% of the volunteers with proven Lyme disease (culture or DNA positive) never developed a positive Western Blot.

Some reasons why a test can come back negative in a Lyme infected patient:

1. The sample was taken too soon after infection for your immune system to have mounted a defense.

2. You are producing a detectable level of antibodies, but the lab made an error.

3. You are producing antibodies to a strain of Borrelia burgdorfiri (Lyme) that the lab cannot detect (for the record, there are over 200 strains in the US alone)

4. You are producing antibodies, but they are bound to they Lyme bacteria (called a complexed antibody) without enough free-floating antibodies in the bloodsteam to be detectable.

5. Your immune system is compromised and not responding properly.

6. By taking antibiotics early in the disease, the immune response may have been aborted.

7. The bacterium has changed its makeup and the immune system hasn't noticed it.

8. The bacterium is cloaking itself inside an immune system cell thereby escaping detection.

9. You have a genetic predisposition to produce a negative test, as shown by Drs. Wang and Hilton in their 2001 publication.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
(male)

chasercats HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I still have not been tested for Lyme since I now live in a very rare to none city for Lyme...

Yet someone mentioned that a place I lived up until four years ago is a red alert State for for lyme...Washington State is this true?

I had all sorts of antibody tests done, yet only my RF and C4 came out postive...

My doctor said if I had some kind of a bacterial infection, my CRP would be positive...

Is there any other blood panel test that would be a red flag besides the Western Blot???

My MRI and neck Xray is normal yet I have all the neurological symptoms related to Lyme...

Thank you!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
(male)

chasercats HB User

Hi, any blood test for lyme is absolutly useless and should not even be considered in any way!! I have been suffering horribly for 9 months with all the neuro lyme smptoms. I had clean mris of neck and brain, 7 negative lyme tests including the western blot 3 times. I finally saw a lyme literate doc and he instantly recognised my symptoms as chronic lyme disease. He ordered the tests and told me even if they are negative again he is positive it's lyme and will treat me anyway. Well of coarse the tests were negative for the 8th time but he started me on I.V. Rocephin. I'm on my 3rd month now and herxing very badly almost all the time which is positive proof its lyme. You have lyme disease and need to be treated asap. good luck

Closed Thread