It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
(female)

kirstiekat HB User
Certain of lymes but ........

Hi all
Well im really upset at the moment a few weeks back i went camping to the gower south wales uk which was full of bugs and also heavily populated by dogs i dint notice being bitten or anything .
Then early this week i started feeling unwell think it was monday night first started sore throat and general aching and headache the next morning i notice 3 bites on my foot where my laces would be i presumed it was flea bites as i have 2 cats and a dog but the bites grew worse rather than better swelled up became red and bumpy and i became more ill i find myself out of breath , today my back is in agony around my waist and ive little energy by wednesday the bites had a bullseye ring around them which now is paler its slightly bigger than a 2 pence peice and one of the bites is totally discoloured and almost blue ive just come back from the doctors and explained he has just given me a weeks antibiotics im 100% certain that it is indeed lymes and am now very concerned that one weeks worth of penicilin will be enough and i may then go on to have chronic lymes later in life .

Last edited by kirstiekat; 09-07-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Certain of lymes but ........

Hi kirstiekat, welcome to the board!

It is important to get photos of your rashes. Place something near them, like a coin or ruler, before phototgraphing to give them size definition. Although only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash, a bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme. The rash alone merits treatment.

You are right, it is important to get the proper treatment as early in the infection as possible. One week of treatment is never long enough. From what I understand, an infection caught within two weeks of the bite should be treated with a minimum of six weeks of the proper dose antibiotic. The antibiotics kill the bacteria when they are reproducing, which is estimated at four weeks. Six weeks of treatment will cover one growth cycle. If symptoms are still present, further treatment is warranted. A longer infection needs longer treatment.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

It is very important to see a kowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

I have heard of two Lyme doctors in the UK: Dr. Andrew Wright who runs a private clinic in Bolton called the Complete Fatigue Clinic and Dr. David Owen in Cardiff. I don't know if they are are knowledgeable. You may want to try contacting Lyme support groups in your area to see if they can recommend a doctor.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses (on-line). He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know about Lyme Disease
(2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress okay?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

kirstiekat HB User
Re: Certain of lymes but ........

Hi ticker thanks for the welcome and the help , i actually live in the same city as david so i rang him and spoke to him ealier he sounds lovely and was very helpfull i explained about being given just a small dose of antibiotics and the rest etc and he like you agrees that , that is in no way sufficiant he has agreed to see me tuesday course now i have the issue of payment as its not free around £100
So im hoping to be able to cover that and get myself there as after my chat with him am very hopefull it was nice in itself to have someone take it seriously
Meanwhile im now also getting stomach pains as well as a bad lower back which seems most prominent today but hopefully it will soon be sorted thanks so much xxx

Closed Thread