It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User
I wonder....

I wonder if this antibiotic that I am on is 'strong' enough?! Has anybody been on it? It's called Ceftin. I have noticed some new things since starting it but I guess I just expect more. The numb-like feeling around my nose has definetly intensified and it feels like it's spreading out more in my face.
I also have bone pain (did not have this b4) Oh, and I got this new one today.....when I was laying down last night, my legs got this weird feeling, don't really know how to describe it, just a odd sensation.
I was just wondering if this drug was one of the 'best' ones for lyme. I really don't remember anyone here stating that they are on this drug. I just keep thinking I should feel worse by now. Day 10.

Later,
J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Re: I wonder....

What is your dosage? My LLMD says that everyone herx's differently. There are some people who herx terribly and others that herx only a few days out of the month. It takes about 2 months to really know if the antibiotic you're on is going to work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Hi keylyme.

500 mg 2xday
I have noticed that I have more 'stuff' going on since starting treatment but I guess I just have this picture in my mind that when herxing, you feel really bad and flu-like.
I'm just confused.
J

Old 09-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

I'm on Cefpodoxmine 400mg/day. The worse my herx got is when I was bed ridden for two days w/ extreme weakness, vertigo, lack of appetite, low grade fever. My joints didn't hurt too bad. I just felt like a weak little baby. I also had extreme fatigue.

As for your dosage...that might be a good question for Ticker. I'll do some checking around too.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

I'm sorry if you answered this ? before....when was this worst herx of yours? I think you said 3 weeks after starting treatment right?

J

Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Yeah, the first couple of days on treatment weren't horrible....just tiring. But around 3 weeks later, it hit me like a ton of bricks (where I was bed ridden). So just keep track of when your 3 week mark is and see if you feel any worse. I've been keeping track of the dates where I feel my worst....I'm definitely noticing a pattern of 3 weeks. My Lyme's is more neurological so I don't really deal w/ the "flu like" symptoms. They are there a little bit b/c I have achy joints and sometimes a low grade fever. My bigger complaints are neurological.

You're on day 10 right now, so just give it another 10 days and see how you feel then. Make sure you document your symptoms....this will help your LLMD to know if the abx is working or not.

But as for the severity of herx's...I really think it depends on each person or if they are taking too much or too little of antibiotics.

I think Ceftin is a good antibiotic for Lyme's....don't quote me on that though b/c I'm just guessing.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

I know this might sound weird but I would actually feel better if I got a bad herx, it would put my mind at ease. I would then feel like the treatment is working. Let's see what happens in antother week or so.

I think I should go to bed now......'talk' to ya later! Good night

Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3love View Post
Hi keylyme.

500 mg 2xday
I have noticed that I have more 'stuff' going on since starting treatment but I guess I just have this picture in my mind that when herxing, you feel really bad and flu-like.
I'm just confused.
J
How long have you been sick? Do you know when you were infected?

Here's what I found about Ceftin. Ceftin, a cephalosporin antibiotic, is prescribed for mild to moderately severe bacterial infections of the throat, lungs, ears, skin, sinuses, and urinary tract, and for gonorrhea. Ceftin tablets are also prescribed in the early stages of Lyme disease.

Early Lyme Disease

The usual dosage is 500 milligrams taken twice a day for 20 days. I can't imagine that 20 days is enough for treatment. Are you seeing an LLMD?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3love View Post
I know this might sound weird but I would actually feel better if I got a bad herx, it would put my mind at ease. I would then feel like the treatment is working. Let's see what happens in antother week or so.

I think I should go to bed now......'talk' to ya later! Good night
I'm going to bed too. Yeah, just give it another 10 days and see what happens. It will take a good 2 months to see if it's working.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

ok. your post appeared before mine....how did that happen?
I have things going on foe a few years but symptoms got very bad since Jan of this year. So I would think this is not early lyme?! Yes I am seeing a LLMD. I go back to see her at the end of this month. I am curious as to why she would put me on a drug for early lyme

O.K now I'm going to sleep now. Judge Judy just ended so it's pretty late for me to be up.

Good night,
J

Old 09-11-2007, 06:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi J. It is normal for symptoms to wax, wane, and migrate around the body when you are treating Lyme. It can be scary, but the meds are stirring up the bacteria. It is also normal to feel worse before feeling better, and it can take time.

Hang in there okay?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
(male)

jed850 HB User

I too just started taking Ceftin to treat my lyme. My doctor prescribed 500 mg twice a day for 2 weeks. I just finished a 30-day round of amox.. I have also taken 3 different 30-day courses of doxy.

So far I have not noticed any improvement and actually have gradually gotten worse. My doctor is lyme literate and stated that it is just a matter of time before we find an antibiotic that will work for me. Everyone is different and responds differently to treatment. He has presecribed neurontin for my joint pain and the trembling/shakiness I've been experiencing and advised me that I could continue with my anti-inflamatory and Tylenol-3 when needed.

Hang in there - things will get better.

JED

Closed Thread