It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
(male)

misher HB User
My Lyme IGenex results.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice for my next course of action. I saw my family doctor today (who is quite open minded and a great MD but not really up to date on Lyme disease) and he gave me back the test results. I'm from Canada and the ministry of health of Ontario said on their laboratory report that the results were interpreted to be negative.

The thing is on my Lyme IgM WB, IGenex said I was positive. I tested negative for everything else including the IGG so I guess when the ontario ministry of health did their interpretation, they thought overall it was negative. All I am wondering is if I should see a LLMD considering the bands that are present. Here are my results.

Lyme IgM Western Blot: Positive
CDC/NYS RESULT: Negative

18 kDa. -
22 kDa. -
**23-25 kDa. -
28 kDa. -
30 kDa. +
**31 kDa. ++
**34 kDa. IND
**39 kDa. +
**41 kDa IND
45 kDa. -
58 kDa. +
66 kDa. +
73 kDa. -
**83-93 kDa. +

GENOMIC Or PLASMID B BURG: NEGATIVE
PLASMID - B BURGDORFERI: NEGATIVE

BARTONELLA HENSELAE IGM: NEGATIVE
BABESIA FISH: NEGATIVE

Lyme IgG Western Blot

IGG-RESULT: NEGATIVE
CDC/NYS-RESULT:NEGATIVE

18 kDa. -
22 kDa. -
**23-25 kDa. -
28 kDa. -
30 kDa. -
**31 kDa. -
**34 kDa. -
**39 kDa. -
**41 kDa +
45 kDa. -
58 kDa. -
66 kDa. -
73 kDa. -
**83-93 kDa. -

Through the search function I found Ticker's breakdown of each band. In the IgM test it looks like I have a few bands. The IND also significant too right?
In the IgG it looks like I just have the 41 kDa present. My MD seems to think that lyme disease is not the case. What do you think? Ticker?

My symptoms started in Germany of 04. I have a lot of joint pain, particularly in the back, muscle weakness/stiffness (it is like my muscles are rocks and no amount of stretching or physical exercise will relieve it), sleep disturbance, brain fog, muscle twitching in arms and legs and tingling sensations in my face legs and arms. Before all of this I was a very physcially active individual (weight training/matial arts). I thought that my condition was a result of overdoing it. I only swim now because it is all I can manage. My doctor thinks these results are non conclusive and the provincial lab interpreted them to be negative. SHould I try and see an LLMD about this? As far as lyme is concerned are these results a HUGE red flag? or just a tiny tiny implication that lyme may be possible.

Thanks everyone for your help.

misher.

Below is the breakdown of the Western Blot bands:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia
12 specific for Bb
18 unknown
20 cross-reactive for Borrellia
21 unknown
22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band
23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb
28 unknown
30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and
one California strain
31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb
34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb
35 specific for Bb
37 specific for Bb
38 cross-reactive for Bb
39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb
41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia
45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)
50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein
60 cross reactive for all Borrellia
66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria
83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane
93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently
in some patients

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
(male)

misher HB User
Re: My Lyme IGenex results.

I didn't think I mentioned that I was tested for ALL co-infections. THey wee all negative. Does this kinda nullify the positive bands in my IgM hence the overall "negative" diagnosis from the labs here in Ontario and my family doc???

I just want to know if my results are a huge red flag or if theyre somewhat ambiguous hence the "don't worry about it attitude" from my MD.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: My Lyme IGenex results.

Hi misher. I am glad you have been tested.

No test for Lyme is completely reliable. The IgM tests for a more recent infection, the IgG a longer standing one. Band 41 is often the first band to show. Bands 31, 34, and 39 are Lyme specific bands. All of these bands mentioned are either positive or IND on your test. Although I am not a doctor, I think your results are signifcant and combined with your symptoms I think treatment is warranted.

Having or not having co-infections does not affect if you have Lyme. Some people who have Lyme are co-infected, some are not.

I hope you can see a Lyme doctor soon for an evaluation.

Closed Thread