It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

Amy26 HB User
Could I have this?

Ok, without trying to sound like a hypocondriac ... there is "something" wrong with me and I haven't been able to figure it out for months. You know how you can just tell that you're "off" ... I've been having varying symptoms on and off for a while... I have been tested for STD's, Lupus, Diabetes, Liver function... heart problems... all kinds of stuff. I'm getting a bit tired of worrying about my health. All the tests I take seem to come back negative. Only thing I've managed to find is High Blood Pressure and High Cholesterol.

I read through some of the Lyme posts after I did a search on one of my symptoms. I read another post that listed out a ton of Lyme disease symptoms... I must say I have had either now or in the recent past a lot of the symptoms on the list.

My question is, can you have Lyme disease for a very long time and not even realize it? I've read a couple posts where people didn't seem to know but is it common to think that I got bit by a tick I have no recolection of and that 1. the tick is gone and 2. it gave me lyme disease?

Here are my symptoms from the other post:

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Sore throat
pelvic pain
breast pain
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles (my eyes twitch)
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Could I have this?

Hi Amy. I am sorry you have been so sick.

Many people have Lyme for a long time before getting diagnosed. Sometimes people can keep the symptoms at bay for some time until their immune system becomes stressed in some way (illness, accident, divorce, etc.). Then symptoms emerge.

Many people are bitten by ticks without knowing it. They are tiny and infect a numbing agent so you cannot feel them on you. They fall off after they feed.

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a kowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Lyme needs continuous aggressive treatment. No test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab.

Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

If you need a doctor recommendation, let us know.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses (on-line). He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know about Lyme Disease
(2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

Do not give up. You will find out what is wrong.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Hi!

I'm sorry that you're sick and you don't know what's wrong. I think that Lyme could be a possibility for you.

Yes, people can have Lyme Disease without being sick. Some people have it for years before having symptoms. It is bizarre.

A lot of people who are bitten by an infected tick often do not know that they were bitten. About 60% of people with Lyme Disease have never gotten the bull's eye or other rash.

Many Lyme sufferers never test positively for it. There are doctors called Lyme Literate Medical Doctors (LLMD) who can diagnose and treat Lyme without a positive test.

Once again, I'm very sorry that you've been sick. I hope that you feel better and find answers soon! Keep staying strong!

Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 AM   #4
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Thank you for the replies. I remember actually finding ticks on me when I was young but not in a long time. Can you also get it from other insects that bite?

I get bitten up by misquitos so much but I also notice I get itchy blotchy skin on my arms a lot as well. They won't really be there till I start itching then little red bumps pop up... is that related at all?

I live in Northern VA near Washington DC if anyone knows of a doctor around here.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Amy. I believe there is some debate on whether or not other insects can transmit Lyme.

I know of a few Lyme doctors in the MD/DC area: Dr. Kenneth Singleton in Towson, MD; Dr. Elizabeth Lucas in Timonium, MD; and Dr. Mark Garzon in DC. Dr. Singleton comes highly recommended. All I know about the other two is that they are supposed to be knowledgeable.

Good luck!

Last edited by ticker; 09-13-2007 at 06:00 AM.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Thanks Ticker... I might be willing to take a drive up to MD if this doesn't clear up.

My ear has been ringing non stop since yesterday at 12 noon. Its driving me nuts.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Amy. I hope you get answers soon. Sometimes doctors are booked so you may want to make an appointment sooner rather than later.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Bill S HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy26 View Post
Thank you for the replies. I remember actually finding ticks on me when I was young but not in a long time. Can you also get it from other insects that bite?

I get bitten up by misquitos so much but I also notice I get itchy blotchy skin on my arms a lot as well. They won't really be there till I start itching then little red bumps pop up... is that related at all?

I live in Northern VA near Washington DC if anyone knows of a doctor around here.

Thanks!
I highly recommend B Robert Mozayeni of Optimal Health Physicians in Rockville MD. He's done a great job with my complicated case. He's also listed in the "Great Docs" stickied thread, page 1 near the bottom.

Closed Thread