It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

roro HB User
My worst fear has come true - my son tested positive

Anyone know of a pediatric LLMD in maryland?

He is 17 and has had chronic asthma since he was 1, had exzema and ear infections from infancy until about 8. Had tubes in ears at 2. His asthma is doing well, but he has had chronic sinusitis for the past 3-4 years. He has had a stiff neck and neck pain for several months now. Other than that, he is very healthy, athletic, and in excellent physical shape.

His pediatrician said he tested positive for the IGM, negative for IGG (thats good that means he is not chronic like me) He is on 875mg twice a day of amoxicillin/augmentin for his sinus infection now and has five days left. should I ask his dr if he should also do 4 weeks of doxy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: My worst fear has come true - my son tested positive

Hi roro. I am so sorry your son has Lyme, but it is good you know so he can be treated. How long do you think he has been infected?

Do you have a copy of his results?

If he has been infected for at least a few months, he will need much longer treatment than six weeks. Dr. Charles Ray Jones in New Haven, CT is the only Lyme pediatrician in the country that I know of. He and his staff are awesome. He has helped so many children. I highly recommend calling his office for his advice, to see if his doses are proper, and ask how long he should be treated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

roro HB User

His pediatrician is calling him in 21 days of doxy. Its better than nothing and will hopefully tide him over until we can get to a LLMD. Connecticut is far, I am in maryland, but at least I have family there so we can stay with them.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi roro. If you are planning on seeing Dr. Jones, make an appointment soon because he is often booked. If your family is not near there, his patients can stay at the nearby Ronald McDonald House for about $15.00 per family per night.

What dose of Doxy is he being prescribed?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi roro-

I am sorry that your son tested positive for Lyme. Ticker is right Dr. Jones is incredible... my kids saw him last month. I can't say enough about how knowledgable and kind he and his staff are.

We went to CT from MN. I know it is far, but well worth it.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow Smyle, that is quite a trip.

I hope you have a good plan of action for your kids and that they respond well to treatment.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi ticker-

It's me Frango.... I changed my name on this board...

Old 09-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
(female)

roro HB User

I contacted a ilads and got a few names for pediatricians who are LLMD in maryland. I really can't travel to CT now, I am too ill, and I have to work. I just want him tested for co-infections, his symptoms evaluated for lyme and co-infections, and treated aggresively, so hopefully one of these dr's can do that.

Most of his symptoms he had as a baby and has outgrown, and are not really lyme symptoms, unless it presents differently in children. he does have joint pain, but I always attributed it to sports injuries (he does 3 varsity sports a year) and his current symptoms are mostly sinus/respiratory.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
Anyone know of a pediatric LLMD in maryland?

His pediatrician said he tested positive for the IGM, negative for IGG (thats good that means he is not chronic like me) He is on 875mg twice a day of amoxicillin/augmentin for his sinus infection now and has five days left. should I ask his dr if he should also do 4 weeks of doxy?
You said that he has been having problems for some time now? I have had Lyme for quite some time myself, but tested IGM positive. I have heard that some people never test IGG positive.. so may be IGM positive, but have had it for years. I do hope that's not the case with your son. Good luck to him!

Closed Thread