It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User
Why do some docs think IgeneX is bogus?......

A friend of the family is seeing a neurologist that specializes in lyme. This neuro said that he does not trust IgeneX. I think he pretty much is saying they are bogus?!! Why? Is there any truth to this? He told ****(family friend, don't want to mention his name) that he uses Stony brook...is this a reputable lab? Anybody test with this lab? What do I tell this friend? My hubby wants to use this same neuro!

Why would such claims be made against IgeneX? Did I miss something?

J

Last edited by 3love; 09-14-2007 at 02:25 PM.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
(female)

dianneom HB User
Re: Why do some docs think IgeneX is bogus?......

I don't know but I can tell you that I don't test positive at Stonybrook. If I couldn't use Igenex I would pick MDL before Stonybrook.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

Kelly5907 HB User

Stonybrook a few years back had a lyme center.. They have since shut it down... Stonybrook was great for lyme but not anymore.. Its just like any other lab out there.. Some dr's feel that Igenex is to sensitive... I think thats why they dont like to use them

Old 09-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Kelly, I actually called Stonybrook today and the clerk said that the lyme lab is still there.....she told me that something else related to lyme is shut down but not the lab. Kelly did you test at Stonybrook? So have you heard good things about it?

Too sensitive of a lab? That makes no sense to me.....isn't that a good thing? If it is able to pick up on bands that other labs could not?!!!

I was told that this doc made it sound like IgeneX was giving out false positives. Do I really have to hear this at this stage of the game?!!!

I'm telling you, it's always something!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

okay just my opinion ...but most likely the doctors get "kick backs" from certain labs they use..Just like they do when they prescribe medications. I know when I was bouncing around from doctor to doctor...They would send me to their other doctors in the same shoot what is the word. Like the same group. They all keep patients flowing to one another. make sense?

Think I would find a different doctor. Or tell him you want a certain lab and go with that...

My test never came out positive with any lab ...But I did get some bands pulled up...soooo Igenex didn't give me a false positive...shoot wish I they had maybe I could of been treated earlier....

Lymes IS a very political disease....too many doctors turn their backs on people that need treatment so they can save their own....A**es....it is all about the big $$ ...not in helping people.

Go with your gut but I would stick to Igenex any day! Kind of like how many doctors out there take the time to call a person back about their Lyme test. I know the doctor at Igenex talked to me persoanlly and didn't charge me...and I see that he takes time to call others. don't see these other labs doing that...so they obviously believe in what they are doing...

hugs

Old 09-15-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
(female)

Kelly5907 HB User

3love... Stonybrook used to have a big lyme research center with many doctors strictly working with lyme and lyme patients... They have shut that down and the doctors have moved on.. They still test for lyme there, but they are just like any lab now, they no longer specialize in lyme.. I live only about 20 minutes from there, and with my job i work closely with them, so i did alot of checking on there knowledge of lyme... its no difference then any other hospital.. I did test with them and it came back positive.. but so did the other 10 lyme tests i had done... It doesnt matter how many tests or bands you have.. only a LLMD will give proper treatment and test for all co-infections... I have been to 25+ doctors.. best of the best and had so much bloodwork saying i was positive and couldnt get the doctors to treat me properly... Thank God for my LLMD... I will be forever grateful...

Old 09-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Kelly, if you don't mind, when did you test with them? Before or after the Lyme lab was shut down? So do you think it's a good idea to be tested there?
This friend of the family **** doctor seems to really like Stonybrook, he actually thinks it's more reliable than IgeneX. He told **** that he would not put much stock into IgeneX?!!

Later,
J

Old 09-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
(female)

Kelly5907 HB User

3love.. I tested with stonybrook after they closed the research lab down.. Actually it was this past july.. I was really sick (before I started any treatment) and I went to thier ER.. I spoke to the ER dr and was questioning him on how good I had heard they were with lyme.. He didnt even know that at one point they had a research center and specialized in lyme.. I asked them when they took my blood to test for lyme.. The titer came back positive so I asked them to do a western blot test and they told me it would take one week because they send it out of state to do the western blot.. I couldnt understand how come they didnt do western blot test when they used to specialize in lyme.. Also my neuro Mr. best of the best refused to send my blood to Igenex he said he would rather go to stonybrook..I explained to him that they dont specialize in lyme anymore and they dont test WB.. He told me I was wrong and sent my blood there.. In return they sent it out of state for the WB and it took 3 weeks to get it back.. but the weird thing is I do know someone who had their WB done there about 8 months ago.. So I dont know why they didnt do mine.. Who knows but they arent great when it comes to lyme..

Old 09-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Kelly, if you don't mind, can you tell me this great neuro's name? or first name? I am wondering if this is the same neuro my friend is seeing?!!
This neuro is also against using IgeneX.....it sure would be funny if were to trun out to be the same neuro!!

Your green light is on so hurry up and answer!
Later,
J

Last edited by 3love; 09-15-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
(female)

Kelly5907 HB User

he is located on long island

Old 09-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Is he still there or has he moved to a different location? What does his last name start with? If you don't feel comfortable sharing that's ok.

J

Last edited by 3love; 09-15-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
(female)

Kelly5907 HB User

he is still there... it starts with R.. he is located in great neck

Old 09-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Oh, ok not the same one. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
(male)

chris0007 HB Userchris0007 HB User

Dianneom,

I see you are from Delaware. I'm about to move there. Can you give me any direction on a good LLMD in the area. Thanks!

Closed Thread