It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

chinookshay HB User
Panic attacks?

Hi all,

I have severe panic attacks with lyme. Does anyone else have the same problems? Also, was wondering how you cope with this and what can I do to minimize them. I tried several medications, when doctors told me it was anxiety, before being dx with lyme and all of them seemed to make it worse. I seem to have a medication sensitivity too, meds just seem to give me all the side effects ten fold. I would be grateful for any feedback and sharing of experiences.

Also is itching with no rash a part of herxing?

Thanks

shay

Old 09-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Re: Panic attacks?

I'm sorry that you are having panic attacks. I'm struggling w/ the same thing right now. I don't know if it's the actual Lyme's causing the panick attacks or if it's the stress of having Lyme's that's causing the panick attacks?

I went ahead and got on an anti-depressant to see if it will help. I find if I put a cold pack on my chest, it helps take the pain away from an anxiety attack. I also concentrate on my breathing by breathing in normally..holding my breath for 4 seconds and then exhaling...that also helps take that discomfort out of my chest.

I'm nervous to tell my LLMD that I'm having panick attacks b/c I don't want to be labeled...so I'm pretty much keeping it to myself right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

Panic and or anxiety definitely can be a symptom of Lyme. In my chronic stage, fatigue and my first panic attack really shocked me. I knew something was really wrong but was overwhelmed with attempting to get help for such (at the time) bizarre unheard of symptoms.

The fact that you have an increase in the anxiety during treatment for Lyme sounds like the medication is effective and is causing a die off response or Herx reaction, increasing your symptoms as the bacteria die off an poision your blood and lymph.

Some documentation suggests that the die off material is sent to the gallbladder to be eliminated but is reabsorbed back into the intestine and in turn back into the body's tissues.

I find a 30 min bath each day with two bottles of hydrogen peroxide and one to two small containers of baking soda are necessary as part of my program.

I would also either get a referral to a good psychiatrist and discuss the possibility of xanax or other benzo's in that class. In my situation, it is the only way I can sleep.

The baths will take care of the itching. I had the same reaction. All night long I was scratching!

Last edited by itsmylife; 09-19-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
(female)

chinookshay HB User

Thanks guys, I really needed to hear that from someone who has been there. Sometimes it just feels like your alone in this battle. I will take your advice and put it too good use. As long as it is working I know there is a good end somewhere.

Thanks again

Shay

Closed Thread