It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User
Arrow There is nothing to eat anymore

I am on antibiotics (Biaxin and Amantadine) and I am not supposed to eat certain foods so that the medecines will work. The foods that I can not eat are:

- dairy
- sugar
- processed foods
- mushrooms
- vinegar
- caffine

I'm having trouble finding many foods that I can eat. I've been eating a lot of salad lately, and I'm getting tired of it.

I'm probably going to go to a nutritionist for food ideas, but in the meantime your suggestions will be helpful.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: There is nothing to eat anymore

Hummmm well Amantadine is not an antibiotic(Biaxin is but both can be taken with any food). I am not sure why you can't have those certain foods unless you are on some other medicines? The two you mentioned are not reasons for not eating those foods so there must be some part of this picture missing or you misunderstood?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
(female)

andrea07 HB User

Hello Aquatic your green light is on I am new here to this healthboard. I here you when I was told no sugar or caffiene that was hard. Seeing a nutrtionist is a good idea. Do you have a whole food market in the area where you live? If so, they have all kinds of good stuff that is not proccesed food.

andrea07

andrea07

Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, when I started taking Biaxin my doc told me to not eat those foods. Then at my Lyme support group said that I'm not supposed to eat them is because they interfere with the medecine working. I also have a weak immune system, which might also contribute to not being able to have sugar.

No, there isn't a whole foods supermarket where I live. My mom has been letting me go grocery shopping with her, and I've been trying to find food that I can eat. It's hard. Sugar or dairy are in so many things.

Welcome to the boards, by the way, Andrea!

Old 09-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
(female)

roro HB User

it sounds like yeast free diet to me. I have to stay away from sugar and refined carbs, and fruits. my dr and nutritionist haven't said anything about dairy, vinegar, or mushrooms, so I am not going to ask about it.

Here are some ideas:
meats, chicken,fish
vegetables
you can have fruit?
yogurt

i go to the health food store and talk to the nutritionist there and she hooked me up with some good food.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Those are good ideas. Thank you!

Old 09-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Bill S HB User

Don't feel bad. Because of my leaky gut and being on long term abx, I can't have dairy, soy, or sugar. You'd be amazed how many foods, even health foods that have either soybean oil or soy lethicin in them. Fer-christ sakes, TEAS have soy in them; Celestial Seasonings and another brand are prime offenders.

As do nearly all fish oil capsules (the one that doesn't have soy, I'm badly allergic to).

Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

ezekiel 4:9 bread is good. Also, you can have REAL mayo. When I was on the "eating plan from hell"...i.e. same as yours, I ate lots of hummus and ezekiel 4:9 pita bread. Also, my naturopath doctor said I could eat spelt bread too...I actually like it better then regular bread. I would eat a lot of sandwiches w/ hummus, mayo, lots of veggies, organic deli turkey etc.

I still have a hard time keeping away from sugar...I'm a real sugar addict. I can't have aspartame (neither should anyone else w/ Lyme's).

Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi A.C. yes roro is correct that is a diet for keep those candida bugs away. The shurooms are a fungus so that is why one is suppose to stay away from those. Also I was told to stay away from peanuts they supposedly have mold on them.

The doctor I was seeing for Lyme told me to mainly try and stay away from over eatting ALOT of sugar. I saw this other doctor at the same time and boy he really gave me a candida diet....everything you mentioned plus no fruits ...

The other doctor told me look you are so underweight that you "need" to eat a balanced diet...ONe can really go over board he said.

there are things like rice milk, soy milk, vege patties, yeast free breads, shoot my mind just went blank...oh and stevia for your sugar sweetner.

The dairy can cause a problem absorbing your antibiotics..so just eat it think it is 2 hours before or after.

You truly don't have to be a fanatic just cut back. You don't want to starve yourself as you are trying to heal.

good luck...

Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
(female)

Anne512 HB User

I was just going to ask about this because I'm going through a similar diet. No sugar except stevia and small amounts of xylitol (which is great because I chew gum to stay awake), no bread, no caffeine, no alcohol, grapefruit and berries, proteins, and probiotic food. I make my own kefir at home, grains and all and that helps, especially if I fall off the wagon. It's a hunt, but what I found that helps me is making my food at home and trying to be creative. Eating chicken and broccoli or chicken and cauliflower and broccoli, etc, got to be so old. So I brought out my crock pot and I make chicken and vegetables, which is easy and diet friendly. I get fresh veggies from the store, chop of the veggies, and put them in my freezer so I can get them whenever I need them. I eat raw almonds and cashews for snack and there are gluten free, salt free brown rice cakes from Lundberg's. I found those at the regular grocery store and the ingredients are organic. That's just a few things, I hope that helps out a little!

My question is when you go online, there's all these different candida websites to tell you how to manage the candida. Have you guys seen any of them?

But when I asked my LLMD, he told me that I shouldn't try to cleanse my liver or any of that stuff because my liver is under enough stress with the meds. What are you guys eating to manage the candida?

Anne

Last edited by moderator2; 09-28-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 09-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!

Keylyme, where do you find the ezekiel 4:9 bread? Would any grocery store have it, or do you get it from a whole foods supermarket?

I love the food recommendations that you guys told me about.

Thanks again!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:35 AM   #12
(female)

debbie2340 HB User

Hey AC,
I know ur down by Toms river. My father live there. When I go to Dr.E Ill stay with him, Im from north NJ. I stayed with him for a week last month and found a health food store on 37 east in Toms River, cant remember name but it is right off bacholor st. It kinda looks like a red barn. They carry many organic and natrul health food. They r quite a bit more expensive than Whole Foods. But if u dont have a WF near u than it is worth it.I do have a WH up north by me, but it was great having a store near him where it was easy to pick up items I can eat. I know they have a sugar free yeast free bread, cause I bought it when I was there. If u ask them they will help u pick out things with no sugar
debbie and no yeast. Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

hi guys. i'm on biaxin and dr e gae me no food restrictions (other than normal instructions to eat as healthy as i can).

there is a health food store in drum point plaza on hooper ave (natures nutrition), up near pizza hut and a larger health food grocers on the other of hooper a few blocks north of drum point.

mickie

Old 09-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi aquaticchick,

As someone else mentioned, it does sound as though you're doctor has made suggestions to keep yeast overgrowth to a minimum. The more sugar and refined flour you consume, the easier it is for yeast to thrive in your body, just what you don't want especially when you're on antibiotics. You really can reduce these simply by cutting out refined or processed foods, and you actually save a lot of money this way too.

Meats and poultry or fish, are excellent sources of protein as are some grains such as quinoa (I don't know if your local market would have that one or not, but it's a grain which I believe comes from latin America) and also lentils. Indian cookbooks have some great lentil recipes, which you can serve with brown basmati rice. Other grains include bulgar wheat and barley to name a few.

Fresh fruits and vedgetables are always good. Do you have a juicer or would your parents be willing to get one? Sometimes that is an easier way of meeting your veggie quota, although it's good to consume at least some whole vedgetables for roughage. You can substitute buckwheat pancakes for regular to avoid processed flour. They are also more nutritious.

The ezekiel bread is awesome! I also get bread made from sprouted grain. Both of these are kept in the freezer section of the store. I get mine at a health food store, not sure if they have it at a regular market. If not, whole wheat bread is a healthier option than white bread and most grocery stores have it these days. The main thing is to try and locate products that contain whole wheat or whole grain flours rather than refined. Is there by any chance a Trader Joe's near you? They carry a lot of health oriented foods at very reasonable prices.

Some mainstream grocery stores these days carry soy milk, rice milk, and even almond milk! Somebody mentioned hummus, made from chickpeas, which is great. Similar to hummus is baba gannouch, which is an eggplant dip that is very easy to make at home in case you can't get it ready made.

You might also want to check out some cookbooks if you have access to a library just to get some ideas. I don't know if you do any cooking or if your parents would be willing to get involved but there really are a lot of things out there now. There is one I keep hearing about, although I haven't had a chance to look it up yet, called 'The Body Ecology Diet', which is supposed to reduce candida.

Good luck and best wishes for your recovery!

Last edited by TINUVIEL; 09-30-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #15
(female)

roro HB User

a good snack - nuts

cashews, almonds, macadamias, whatever are yoyur favorites. this time of year the mixed ones in the shell are good too (walnuts, brazil, hazelnuts, almonds, pecans)

Closed Thread