It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
(female)

lotusillusion HB User
ABX for lower $$ ???

Hello everyone.. well I just have to ask if anyone knows of a good source for buying Rocephin. I've been out of work for months now and even w/ insurance they won't cover the antibiotics for more than 28 days I'm told. I'm trying to do the research myself, but am so fatigued that it's very hard to stay on track. (also had surgery for breast cancer last week)

I'm currently getting my meds by way of a home health co. and I'm sure if I cut out that middle man that I'd save a ton of money that I already don't have.. Any leads are appreciated.. Thanks a lot!

Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

bigstan HB User
Re: ABX for lower $$ ???

Hi, Are you looking for Rocephin IV, or injections?

Last edited by bigstan; 09-24-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
(male)

Tony64 HB User
Re: ABX for lower $$ ???

Hello Lotusillusion. Here's my advice: First of all, get prescriptions from your LLMD for all you need, so everything is LEGAL and I mean it for each item Eg: meds, flushes, dressing kits, saline bags etc... Go to your private doctor. Go to that one that you've been going for years or your kidsí doctors. Pull him/her aside, explain your situation. Your doctor has the leverage to negotiate a much better price than you can. Your doctor should be able to get meds for you (powder only) for no more than $350.00 for a 2 months supply without any problem. Than, go to, for example, a cardiologist office, or any other doctor you know that performs procedure in their office which require use of 50 or 100 cc bags of saline. Ask this dr. how much they get their saline from and ask if he/she could order some for you. At the end of current IV abx.'x, don't let the nurse remove your PICC line, say that you're continuing infusion yourself. Go to many hospitals, maybe you know a nurse, see if a PICC certified nurse from the hospital would agree to change dressing weekly for you. This is important, you want this done by a PICC certified nurse. Talk to your local hospital administrator, ask for help. Usually, the home care people can't just turn their back at you just because your insurance won't pay for their cost. Put something in writing for home care explaining the importance of having them continue with PICC line care weekly. Mention the danger of infection, which they are all too familiar with, and ask them not to turn away from you because of money and that you'll work something out as soon as you're more financially stable. You have just put them on notice of the dangers of withdrawing care, refusal of care and neglect of patient care for monetary reason. They know the consequences of that. Hospitals administrators with a heart would have no problem in providing you with some supplies, including PICC line dressing kits for each week. If not, your current infusion pharmacy would probably charge you something in the neighborhood of $5 for PICC line tube extension and about $10 for kit and about $10 for heparin flushes for a few days until you private doctor can explain to you how to go around saline and heparin flushing. You would be surprised of what you could accomplish by talking to hospital nurses. They can help you through the maze a lot.
Good luck.

Closed Thread