It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
GI Bleeding..may be serious...need some advice.

Hi,

I've been on Cefpodoxime for 2 months now. About a month ago, I had a horrible night of extreme abdominal pain/cramping...it literally felt like a cross between appendicitis and labor (luckily I don't have an appendix anymore and I'm NOT pregnant). I felt like I had to go to the bathroom but wasn't able to get anything out. I took a laxative and an enema and hours later I finally had a BM. It was like dark black sludge...sorry for being graphic! The next day I felt better and everything was back to "normal".

Then, a few days ago, I had the same exact thing happen AGAIN! When I finally was able to have a BM, it was the return of the black sludge.

I normally never have problems w/ constipation..I'm normally the opposite. I'm on a great probiotic and am really trying to watch what I eat.

I went to the dr today and he said that I'm bleeding from somewhere and we need to figure it out. He ran a CBC, liver and pancreas panel. He said that I need to get to a GI doc stat and get a colonoscopy....fun.

I had an endoscopy done last December and my stomach and esophagus looked fine. My small intestines had moderate swelling and they attributed it to Lyme Disease.

So, after all this explanation, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what on earth is going on? Has anyone else w/ Lyme's experienced this?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Re: GI Bleeding..may be serious...need some advice.

It sounds like your dr needs to give you an endoscopy, and not just a colonoscopy?

I was having severe stomach pains just before I started lyme treatment, and it got much worse during my first month of abx. I never had the dark black stools, but my dr told me that if it got that bad, or if I saw blood in my stool, to call right away. Neither happened, but because the meds she gave me were not working, she scheduled me for an endoscopy, and it turns out (as I suspected, even though she did not), I had/have an ulcer in my stomach. I also had a colonoscopy, and discovered other issues, but it was only the endoscopy (at least in my case) that revealed the ulcer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

I had an endoscopy done Dec 2006 and everything looked fine (except the moderate inflammation in my small intestine). I wonder if I could develop an ulcer between then and now?

Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLyme View Post
I had an endoscopy done Dec 2006 and everything looked fine (except the moderate inflammation in my small intestine). I wonder if I could develop an ulcer between then and now?

That was coming onto a year ago. Anything is possible. (I had two MRI's w/in 6-7 months of each other, and in that short period of time, I suddenly developed 3 thyroid nodules. Even the endocrinologist was surprised by that).

Closed Thread