It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
(female)

marline HB User
Dr. S. H. Left Me A Message Today...

I missed his call and he said that my test results were not positive or negative, that it's borderline, to call him back tomorrow so he can tell me what my next step is. I am so lost and scared now, because I am 3 months pregnant now. Does anyone know anything about having lyme borderline?

Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Dr. S. H. Left Me A Message Today...ticker Please

Hi Marline. Be sure to get copies of your results.

I believe that most doctors will treat if you are borderline. There is no completely reliable test for Lyme. A knowledgeable doctor knows this. The doctor knows you are pregnant right?

Let us know what he says when you call him okay?

Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

My IGM was borderline positive. I had two bands that were indeterminate. On my IgG, band 41 was positive. Based on my symptoms and also that I remember getting bit by a tick and having a rash, my LLMD is treating me. But he said in his own words that my test was borderline positive.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marline, what did the doctor say?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
(female)

marline HB User

My doctor just called me and said that my band 39 was positive, and he wants me to start on amoxcillian tomorrow for 10 days and to re-test the blood test again and he can determine if I have it fully or not and if I do then I can start on other medication. I am scared to death now.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Marline. Was this the Lyme doctor? Band 39 is a Lyme specific band. It is good he is going to treat you.

Be prepared for the herx reaction. Hang in there okay?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
(female)

marline HB User

Yes he is a lyme doctor, he said band 39 on IGM was positive but you need 2 band to get a diagnosis so mine is borderline but he will treat me for 10 days with amoxy. What is a herx reaction?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi marline. Herx is short for the term Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction. Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks.

During treatment, it is a good idea to document your symptoms daily. One way to do this is to list the three main symptoms you have each day and a numerical rating of their severity, from 1-10. Over time when you review this, you can see when your herxes occur and how you are responding to the meds.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
(female)

marline HB User

Thanks everyone, I am going to pick up my medication today and start, my doctor said that my symptoms should start to go away if I indeed to have lyme within the next 10 days. But is amoxy even stong even to take an infection away? Also do I have to give birth to find out if the child is infected? What is the worst case scenario for? I hear that most stuff happen before you even give birth, for example stillborn. Does this mean if you actually give birth you are ok?

Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

I was pregnant while I had Lyme's Disease. I didn't know it at the time. Lyme effects everyone differently including babies. It's not always 100% for sure that you'll transmit it to your baby...but it can happen.

I'm about 99% that my daughter has it from me. She was a sickly baby and we went through all kinds of problems with her (none life threatening thank God). She's better now but her growth has been stunted. We're getting her blood drawn on Monday to send to Igenex.

Just make sure that you keep the lines of communication open between you and your OB. Let them know that you have Lyme's and are being treated for it. That way if, God forbid, your baby has troubles when he/she is born, they can test for Lyme's.

I was also strep B positive so I received abx through my IV during labor. I think that helped my daughter as well since she got the antibiotics in her system too.

Also, learn from my mistake, I breastfed my daughter and it would make her really sick and we had no idea why at the time. Of course, now we know. Lyme bacteria is found in breast milk so you might want to consider formula feeding as well. I know that's a really hard decision to make b/c we all want to breastfeed our babies. I just thought I would give you my take on it.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
(female)

marline HB User

Keylyme,

Did you get lyme while you were pregnant or before you were pregnant?

Old 09-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marline View Post
Keylyme,

Did you get lyme while you were pregnant or before you were pregnant?
I was bit 8 months before I became pregnant.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
(female)

marline HB User

My doctor says only one of my bands is positive which is borderline. Did they do any tests on your baby before he/she was born to see if things were normal? I am just real scared now that things will not look good. Did you have to wait until he/she was born to find out that she had minor problems?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi marline. I hope the doctor will treat you throughout your pregnancy.

It is my understanding to minimize trasmission, the woman should be on a safe antibiotic throughout the pregnancy and not breastfeed.

You can have the baby's cord blood tested at birth. You can call Dr. Charles Ray Jones in New Haven, CT about this. I believe he is the only Lyme pediatrician in the country.

I have heard that many women feel better during their pregnancy and worse after delivery.

Hang in there okay? You are doing all the right things.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #15
(female)

marline HB User

Ticker,

What is the worst case scenario? If the baby is exposed to lyme what happens? Will the baby have birth defects and will they know before the baby is born?

Closed Thread