It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Looking for a Lyme Literate Psychiatrist in Kansas City

Hey,

For the past month, I've been experiencing more of the psychological effects of Lyme's...I don't know if it's because of the antibiotics I'm on or what. I'm having tons of anxiety attacks and severe depression. I started Cymbalta a month ago and that seems to have made everything worse. I really need to get to a psychiatrist who knows about Lyme's and can help me out. These panic attacks are exhausting!

Didn't know if anyone had any recommendations for my area.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User
Re: Looking for a Lyme Literate Psychiatrist in Kansas City

Hi Keylyme,

Sorry you are feeling so bad. Lyme can produce some really bizarre neurological effects. If it is flaring up worse than usual with treatment that is normal, as neurotoxins produced by the dying organisms can produce this effect, although that sure dosen't make it any easier to deal with.

I'm not sure about Lyme literate psychiatrists, but I do know that Columbia University has done extensive research into neuropsychatric Lyme, or neuroborreliosis. What about contacting them and asking if they can refer you to someone?

It is important to have support especially if you are experiencing depression and anxiety attacks. Not that it is a substitute for professional help, but is there a Lyme support group in your area that you could attend? Hope you are able to find some relief. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Re: Looking for a Lyme Literate Psychiatrist in Kansas City

Thanks so much for the help. I hope that the antibiotics will clear up the psychological problems but in the meantime, I think I need to seek professional help and get on the right antidepressants.

Closed Thread