It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Question and update: s*****ed from IV Rocephin to IV Zithromax

I can actually type today and I am not balling my eyes out so I figured I would say hello to all my friends, old and new.

I began IV Rocephin four and half months ago. I also began oral Levaquin five weeks after that.

In summary, I have been seeing an LLMD for almost three years and I have tried many antibiotics. (Tindamax, Doxy, Biaxin, Ceftin, Omnicef, Bicillin injections, etc).

July 2004 I was a vibrant, bikini-wearing, ballroom dancing, business-trip-taking single mom fixing up her own house and loved every minute of it. December 2004, I could not see straight, had lost my balance completely, gained 90 lbs, lost my hair, could not keep my eyes open, could not pick something up when I dropped it, got off my sofa only to pee.

The most progress I've made is last year when I was on Levaquin, 750mg, for nine months. My facial numbness went away, my hair grew back, I was able to speak and hold a conversation and my brain fog went away.

Last spring, my LLMD stopped all my meds; I cannot remember why. When that happened I slid back so far I was ready to die.

This past May I started the Rocephin and then in June I started the Levaquin.

The past four months were just awful: P-A-I-N, aches, fevers, headaches, fatigue, etc. All the regular crap. It would take me 5 minutes just to stand up out of bed. My eyes were freaking out, I had bouts of bad fatigue and bouts of insomnia. I was crying all the time - out of nowhere I would start balling. I had thoughts of suicide, all doom & gloom. I could not see or walk and I was so miserable. I could not even post here!

I saw my LLMD last Thursday. She said that after being on IV Rocephin for so long, I should have felt better than I did. So she s*****ed me to IV Zithromax.

I notice with the Zithro that I am lightheaded/dizzy and I have a touch of nausea once in a while. Those are the only 2 side effects so far.

BUT ... today is my 5th day off of Rocephin and boy do I feel better. I can walk, I can see, I can get off my bum and do dishes and I'm even planning on taking a shower later. I woke feeling fine, I'm even cracking a few jokes at work.

I am wondering, do I feel better because the Rocephin wasn't working and I feel good because the drug has left my system?

Or do I feel better because the Rocephin was working and since the drug isn't my system anymore, I feel better temporarily till the bugs take over again?

I am nervous, thinking that I was taken off the Rocephin too early; that it was working so well killing the bacteria that I felt awful but it would have gotten better as the die-off lessened.

My imagination is at work here obviously!

My original plan was to be on Rocephin for nine months. I feel like I quit half-way through. I am also concerned about the Zithromax since it is similiar to Biaxin, which does nothing for me.

I'm going to take advantage of this respite from the crap to get some laundry done and pay some bills and shower and clean up my bedroom a bit. It's an absolute pigsty from my living in it for so long.

Any thoughts/comments? Should I be worried?

Peace and health to all,
Mickie

Last edited by 6Blues; 10-01-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Question and update: sw itched from IV Rocephin to IV Zithromax

Hi MicB....nice to hear you feel well today...YAHOOO!!!

I remember not feeling like the rocephin did anything for me. But I must say AFTER I was on it ...and then s*****ed to something else I started to feel better...Maybe the rocephin just gave me a jump start...

I do wish you good health. You sound better than this time last year...that is a big plus!

HAVE FUN CLEANING TODAY!!!!

Hugs to you....

Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

Kelly5907 HB User

Hi.. Iam glad to hear your feeling better.. Iam also on IV zithromax... I also had dizziness, lightheaded, and some nausea when I first started.. It only lasted about 2 weeks and went away.. Iam improving each day on it.. I remember after about a week on IV zithromax I was able to do things that I hadnt done in over a year.. Little things like drive, go to the store, clean, and take a walk.... It was amazing.. Good luck and I hope it continues for you

Old 10-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

I'm so glad that you're doing better. I've almost always felt much better after I finish a course of antibiotics.

Is your insurance still paying for your IV abx? I remember you said that they were going to stop but as of yet, they haven't done anything.

I hope that your feeling well spell lasts for a long time so you can enjoy life and feel good!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Question and update: s*****ed from IV Rocephin to IV Zithromax

Thanks guys.

Boy it feels good to be able to get up and do a load of laundry. (Can you believe I just said that about dirty clothes from a coupla teenagers?? )

I'm not whistling Dixie, just glad to be feeling better. Might even hit the grocery store tonight.

So far no lightheadedness/dizziness or nausea from the Zithro. Man those bags are huge! With Rocephin I could move around while dripping, but with these melon bags, I just sit here, watching TV.

It'll sure feel good to improve on this stuff without having to go through hell first.

I'll keep folks posted.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
(female)

dianneom HB User

Hey Blues,
When you say the bags of Zithro are huge, it makes me think, what dose do you take?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Question and update: s*****ed from IV Rocephin to IV Zithromax

Hi Mickie. I am glad you are feeling better too!

Rocephin does not work for everyone. I think it is probably good that you switched meds. What dose of IV Zithromax are you infusing?

Have you been tested recently for the co-infections? Being co-infected can interfere with Lyme treatment.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

I feel much worse on the IV Rocephin mentally. I have strange tiny balls of light that pass through my vision and deeper depression. I just assumed the more effective the antibiotic, this type of response would be typical.
It's hard to know, but that is why I am paying Dr. R the big dollars so I'm going to let him worry about it. I've been in the drivers seat way too long and I'm tired of trying to figure it all out.
We'll see what he says on the 10th.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi gang.

I drip one 500mg bag of Zithro per day.

I tested negative for all co-infections but I take the Levaquin for Bartonella as per my LLMD and I'm glad I do. I respond very well to Levaquin.

I also tried Malarone once but I did not respond to at all - good or bad.

I continue to feel better since stopping the Rocephin. I just hope that's a good thing.

Over and out,
Mickie

Closed Thread