It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
Unhappy How long is treatment, I wonder if I need new meds

Alright last night was HELL!!

I have been under a little more stress the past couple of days and the last night got ready for bed and man I started feeling like crap. Everything literally started aching and it felt like I weighed 500 lbs when I was trying to walk. Legs barely wanted to move. I also started feeling very sick to my stomach, eyes hurt, head hurt and had a fever of 102. Could not get comfortable during the night because my elbows hurt to have my arms crossed but when I laid them straight it hurt too.

My daughter woke up with a low from diabetes around 5 this morning and it took everything I had to help her. I went back to sleep and got up around 8 to get my son off to school. Feel a LITTLE better now but just very weird feeling and weak.

Is this a herx? I am not sure if I ever really herxed before. I also think I loss some more weight this past week which I did not need to do.

I have been taking the anti (rifamphin, zithro and doxy) since the middle of JUne. When does treatment usually stop? Should meds be changed? I was starting to feel a whole lot better then last week (even before stress issues couple of days ago) some issues started coming back like head shaking again and rib and joint pain.

Any advice? Just feeling down and discouraged. Wanna get better.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: How long is treatment, I wonder if I need new meds

Hi tammy.

I can relate to feeling awful. I have been through a few bouts of feeling just horrid. I've had periods where I vomitted for days, periods when I could not sleep, times when I could not keep my eyes open, times when I could barely drag my body out of bed to pee.

I am a single mom and it can be harrowing to have to take care of others when you are so sick yourself you can barely walk and think.

Treatment can vary. It depends on many things.

It depends on how long you were infected before you began treatment, if you have any co-infections, what strain of Lyme bacteria you have, how strong your immune system is and how your particular body reacts to drugs and treatment.

Personally, I think I was bitten sometime in spring of 2002. I began treatment in January of 2005. I have been taking drugs for 2 years and 9 months. I know that sounds like a long time but I do feel better.

Sometimes I Herx on a regular basis, other times I don't. Sometimes I try a drug that has no affect, other times I have nice improvement. It depends on so many things.

One of the worst parts for me is not knowing when it will end. Will I ever get better? Will I get close to being better? How much longer do I have to endure this?

It's a roller coaster ride of the worst kind. Never knowing how I'll feel from one hour to the next.

Your LLMD is the best person to ask. He/she will know, based on their experience and your personal history, when to change drugs and when to stop treatment.

As a general rule, I believe treatment for Lyme is continued for 3 months after symptoms have gone away.

Hang in there. We're there with you, hanging too.

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the reply. Man, I thought my heart would hit the floor when you said 2 yrs 9 mths. The doctor thinks I was infected two years prior to starting to treatment and also that I have bartonella so who knows. I did take doxy for 4 weeks (100mg thru primary doc) when I came back lyme positive but that was after almost a year from when I had a mark that may have been the rash. It was some type of bite but everyone kept telling me spider.

I go to my LLMD next Monday so I am going to write down all my questions this time so I do not forget.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi tammy.

Gosh - I hope I didn't scare ya' - hopefully you will get better a lot sooner than me. No early tricks or treats here.

I also have Bartonella. I tested negative for it twice. One test was called FISH (can't recall what it stands for) and it cost a small fortune.

My LLMD treated me for it based on my symptoms and I am so glad she did. She started me on Levaquin and 9 months after that I was able to talk and remember stuff again. Prior to that - nothing was helping me.

Hang in there, ok?

Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

No you did not scare me, just made my heart skip a couple of beats.

I will hang in there. It is just so expensive and I still have not went back to work so no insurance to even help with meds. I hate taking pills so this is so hard on me.

I also tested negative for bartonella but doctor went on symptoms.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi tammy. I am sorry you are feeling so bad. When getting treated for Lyme, it can take time and it is normal to feel worse before feeling better. The longer you have been infected, the longer you will likely need treatment.

Do you have co-infections?

If you are not doing so, it is very helpful to keep track of your symptoms daily. One easy way to do this is to list the three main symptoms you have each day and a numerical rating of their severity (from 1-10). Over time when you review this, you can see when your herxes occur and how you are responding to the meds.

Do everything you can to help your immune system: eat healthy, drink a lot of water, get enough rest, exercise when possible, take appropriate supplements.

Hang in there okay?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Ticker,
I am keeping a journal and it was showing improvement but then a few days ago things started bothering me again and then the other night. Yesterday I felt weak most of the morning but started feeling better. Last night was much better.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Tammy. It is good your are keeping a symptom journal.

Lyme sympotms do wax and wane like you describe. I am glad you are feeling better!

Closed Thread