It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

grace32 HB User
Scared to get picc'd

Hi All,
Just looking for some support. I'm really scard to get a picc line in. I keep thinking I'm going to have blood clots or some other complication. Can anyone share their expierence with this. How do they put it in? I'm nervous because the nurse doc is doing it in the office. Is that safe?
Thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

mamoo HB User
Re: Scared to get picc'd

Grace:

Good luck on your PICC. I too was scared, but in the long haul the PICC has worked out well. I am on 1 month of Rocephin and would have had to be sticked every two or three days. My veins are hard to find, and after 7 attempts the doc decided to have the PICC put in. The only problem that I have had is that on approximately the second day the PICC was coiled and had to be straightened out. They had to remove the sutures and run a wire down the line and then re-suture the line in place. The whole thing was pretty painless. I had mine put in at the local medical center. Only 9 more days and then I should be done I hope. In general I am feeling better, the joint pain is gone, but still very tired, and found myself very depressed over the weekend. Had a great day yesterday, the first in many. Good luck on the PICC, not as scarry as you think.

Syd.

Last edited by mamoo; 10-02-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
(female)

dianneom HB User

Hi Grace,
I've had 4 PICC lines and 1 Mid line. The first line was put in by a nurse with out any kind of numbing agent, a method I would not repeat. My most comfortable experience was with a local anesthetic and a doctor using xray. I don't think the sutures are used anymore to hold the line in place. I had them the first time but later lines had sticky lock that worked just fine.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Grace. When are you getting the line?

Getting a PICC line really is not bad. It usually only takes a few minutes. The line is threaded up in the arm and an X-ray is taken to ensure it is in the proper place. It can be done at a doctor office or outpatient facility.

Usually you will be shown how to infuse the meds yourself and will be supervised until you are comfortable doing it on your own. Although it may seem overwhelming in the beginning, it does not take long to learn the process.

With most IV lines, the dressing and/or needle needs to be changed once a week by a medical professional, such as a home healthcare nurse. Blood work is usually taken once a week also.

With any IV line, it is very important that the site remain clean and dry at all times. An infection in the line can be deadly. If ever there is any redness or any question about how the site looks, call your doctor or nurse immediately.

There is a sleeve you can get to cover the site so you can shower without getting it wet. It is called a Mid-Arm Protector and you can get it at Brown Medical.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes okay?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi mamoo. How long were you sick before getting diagnosed?

One month of Rocephin is not very long for Lyme disease. Are you seeing a Lyme doctor? Were you tested for all the co-infections?

Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
(female)

grace32 HB User

Thanks everyone for your reassuring words.

Hi Ticker,
I'm getting the line either next week or the following week.(If my husband is not on travel) My doc is so far and it's tough getting someone to pick the kids up at school and stay with them. My doc wants me on for two months and my insurance is only paying for one. Is two months of Rochephin enough?
They are putting the picc in at the doctors office and then sending me across the street to get an xray and then infusing. I think I would feel more comfortable in a hospital. What was your treatment like? Did you have a picc?

Grace

Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
(female)

mamoo HB User

Ticker:

I have had lyme for about 1 year now, it was confirmed via blood test, I am not sure exactly which one and then placed on doxy and pencillin for about 3 months. Since then I have had several symptoms, but felt like a hypo and didn't let it get the best of me. The topper was the morning that I woke up with lips all swollen and a rash. Went to doc and he suggested a month of the iv rocephin. My symptoms at first were:

dizzy head and loss of hearing
horrible back ache
vision loss
lyme bulls eye
bells palsy
fatigue
and just down in the dumps

I am beginning to feel a bit better every day. Have a appointment with the doc next week to see where we go from here. My question is does the lyme truly ever leave the body or must we just except it and go on with life.

Thanks for you help.

Mamoo

Last edited by mamoo; 10-02-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
(female)

Kelly5907 HB User

Grace... I have had my Picc for about 5 weeks now... I was so nervous to have it put in.. I had mine done at the hospital.. It was no big deal... Its the best thing I have ever done.. Its going to be a little confusing with the meds and flushing but within a few days you will be a pro.. Iam so used to it now, I forget its even there.. I dont think its a bad thing your having it done at the office... Alot of dr's do it that way.. Good Luck

Kelly

Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
(female)

andrea07 HB User

Hello grace32,

I am currently doing home infusions this is my second picc line I have had inserted in the past couple of months, the first one I got an infection. The procedure took a couple hours the prep for the procedure was the longest the actual insertion of the line took maybe 30 minutes. The x-ray is to make sure the line is in place and not going up the vein in your neck. I was on Rocephin for about 4 weeks I am now on cefotaxime.

Like ticker said do not get it wet and keep it very clean, I ordered the sleeve and it arrived today, yeah...

Blessings on the procedure and take care I hope you start feeling better.

andrea07

Old 10-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi mamoo.

I got a PICC about 5 months ago in my LLMD's office. A nurse inserted it without any X-ray or numbing agent or tranquilizers. Like dianemom, I would not recommend it so good thing you're going to the hosp.

I was so scared I was shaking for days. The fact that the nurse was able to get it in on the 1st try with my arm shaking so bad, is a testament to her skill.

Once it was in, I didn't feel a thing and still don't. I have zero problems with it. No redness, no infection, no clots, nothing.

I have both the mid-arm protector and a complete water-proof cover I bought from a SCUBA site so I can enjoy my hot tub with it on.

Most of the time I'm not even aware that it's there.

I'll go with and hold your hand, okay?

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Old 10-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

p.s.

I used to wear a light beige colored covering over it. Guess it's supposed to be 'nude' color.

Now I wear bright colored ones (white, pink, orange) so that when ppl ask what happened, I can tell them about Lyme.

Just my way of spreading the word till I get better and can handcuff myself to the doors of the CDC. hee hee

Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

I loved my picc lines....I would draw up my heprin, saline, and antibiotics and I always knew if I missed a dose or not...brain just wasn't working that well then ....

I was like MicB...I had different colored socks to put on mine...had to match those outfits ya know...

You'll get use to it....

All 3 of mine were done in radiology at the hospital...

Good Luck!

Closed Thread