It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

Meg01 HB User
Returning?

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with lyme when I was 5 and living in Connecticut, since then I have moved to New Zealand, and am now 16. Lyme hasnt really bothered me since I was 10. NZ doesnt have it here, so I cant talk to many doctors about it, nor would they be able to recognise it. So what I am wondering, can it go dormant for long periods of time and return? Or is it possible that I've beaten it?
Thank you
Meg

Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Returning?

Hi Meg, welcome!

Are you having symptoms?

Do you remember how long you were sick before you were diagnosed?

If you were treated properly when you were diagnosed, you can beat it. If not, it can return.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
(female)

Meg01 HB User

Thank you, it's good to be here. I am usually wondering about my health hehe
They said that they got it late, but I went on antibiotics for about three years, probably half that with the amount of times I had forgotten to take them. I do not believe I am having any symptoms, but I recently tore my mensicus, and required surgery, the doctors didnt really know much about lyme, but yeah, I am wondering if lyme patients are prone to those sorts of injuries. I mean, because I got lyme so young, there is a chance I am just used to what other people would call symtoms, but I'm just used to them. I can get headaches quite easily, back and chest pain, joint pain etc, but because I've lived with it for all my life, I dont really notice it any more.

Last edited by Meg01; 10-03-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Meg,

I just had to post to a fellow kiwi. My family and I are from NZ. I was born over there and then we moved to the U.S. when I was a baby. I went back to visit in 2002. I have a ton of family over there.

Lyme symptoms can definitely wax and wane over the years. I had Lyme's for about 3 years before I knew it. During that time, I had a surgery done and the stress of the surgery sent my Lyme's into full blown mode.

I would suggest to read up on everything you can. I actually have two distant relatives in NZ who are doctors. I can't remember their names off the top of my head. I'll ask around and see if I can get their info. If you can post what city your in, that will help me to determine which name to give you. I know one of the doctors lives in Napier. I want to say the other is in Napier too but I can't remember.

If you get all of your ducks in a row and give them the necessary data, maybe they'll be apt to listen? I can also send them info as well since I have Lyme's.

Well, talk to you later. Hang in there!

Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
(female)

Meg01 HB User

I am quite far from Napier, up in Whangarei. I mean, it's strange though, because I've been living with lyme for pretty much all my real memory life I dont think I recognise the symtoms, when they could be very obvious to someone diagnosed when they are 20 or so.
The list of symtoms I gave are purely on what I dont think are right, but because I've had them all my life, I am quite unsure on what's normal and what isnt, if you know what I mean.
I'm sitting my university entrance exams soon, well the first lot, and I really am concerned that it may come back strongly and affect those exams. Also I would love to join the Navy as a pilot, so I am wondering how possible this is with lyme. Right now I am as active or more active as any other teenager, so it really isnt bothering me in any way. It's just those few things that I really do notice.
Thank you
Meg

Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
(female)

keys79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg01 View Post
I am quite far from Napier, up in Whangarei. I mean, it's strange though, because I've been living with lyme for pretty much all my real memory life I dont think I recognise the symtoms, when they could be very obvious to someone diagnosed when they are 20 or so.
The list of symtoms I gave are purely on what I dont think are right, but because I've had them all my life, I am quite unsure on what's normal and what isnt, if you know what I mean.
I'm sitting my university entrance exams soon, well the first lot, and I really am concerned that it may come back strongly and affect those exams. Also I would love to join the Navy as a pilot, so I am wondering how possible this is with lyme. Right now I am as active or more active as any other teenager, so it really isnt bothering me in any way. It's just those few things that I really do notice.
Thank you
Meg
Can you remember anytime in the past where you have taken antibiotics? Do you remember feeling better/worse/same after you stopped taking them?

Reason I ask is sometimes people w/ Lyme's Disease experience Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker.

If you remember feeling "sicker" on antibiotics but feeling better afterwards, maybe this is a clue that your Lyme's Disease has come back? Just a thought. This was posted by KeyLyme...sorry I accidentally posted under an old user id.

Last edited by keys79; 10-04-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: used wrong user id

Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
(female)

Meg01 HB User

I do remember taking anti biotics, and at the time I didnt feel much better at all really. But it's hard to remember, I went through a spell where it didnt appear to be affecting me at all. But these symtoms are what I've always been experiencing, so I'm really not sure.
Meg

Closed Thread