It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

Hope4Sofia HB User
Question Desperately want to get pregnant

I'm 34 and we very much want to have our last baby. I feel like time is running out but then there's the Lyme. I'm wondering if a low dose abx during the first trimester would help.

Any input?

Sofi

Old 10-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: Desperately want to get pregnant

Hi Sofi and welcome.

I can't comment on your question as my kids are teenagers and I certainly don't want any more of those.

There are a folks here who have had children while they have Lyme.

Just bumping this post to the top.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi sorry you have Lyme. My thoughts are I wouldn't consider having a baby until you were cleared of having Lyme. That is just my opinion....

hope you get well soon!

Old 10-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Sofi, welcome to the board!

Do you have Lyme disease? How long have you been sick? Are you being treated now by a Lyme knowledgeable doctor? Have you been tested for the co-infections Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. This is important. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

Do you think you were infected with your other pregnancies? Lyme disease can be passed through pregnancy and breastfeeding. If you think you were infected during your pregnancies, you should have your children evaluated by a Lyme doctor.

It is my understanding that women who have Lyme are advised to wait six months of being symptom free before trying to get pregnant. They should take a safe antibiotic throughout the pregnancy and not breastfeed to minimize transmission. The baby's cord blood can be tested at birth, but I do not know how reliable this is.

It is important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses (on-line). He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know about Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

Closed Thread