It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

Meg01 HB User
Can lyme sufferers donate blood?

Can lyme sufferers donate blood? The blood bank is coming around my school on Friday and I want to donate but not sure if I will be allowed.
Thank you,
Meg

Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Quick Q

Nooooooo people with Lyme should not donate blood. This is how some people contract it is through transfusions....

I tried along time ago and was told noooooo....

Sweet of you to want to help people....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
(female)

Meg01 HB User

Ok, rats. Ah well, guess some poor soul doesnt want Lyme blood haha I'm O- and they really need it down here. The strange thing is, is that I had blood tests done before my surgery, and they all came back negative. So I dunno. Hm
Thank you
Meg

Old 10-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Soooo are you being treted for lyme? If you even think you do and you have the symptoms I sure wouldn't give blood no matter how badly they needed a certain type of blood...I wouldn't beable to live with myself if I kniew I infliclted a type of syphliislis related bacteria on someone...

Know what I mean...

Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
(female)

Meg01 HB User

Yeah I understand that. I am not being treated for lyme, because not many doctors down here even know what it is. So yeah, it's kinda hard. My mother is tempted to send me back up to the States for some tests and treatment, but at the moment with schooling, I am sitting NCEA exams, which is the key lead up to getting into university, which I am wishing to study engineering before joining the Royal Australian Navy. So I have pretty high goals really, and am trying to not let lyme affect my life in any way, despite suffering some of the more common symtoms, such as join pain. I am very pain tolerent though, I mean, heck, I fell off and horse, broke my collar bone, got up and the first thing I did was run after the horse, so I am pretty good with that side of life. I am really hoping that lyme doesnt affect my Navy career, though I am pretty sure it wont, mainly because I wont let it, but ya know, anyting can happen.
Thank you though, I will pull out of donating blood tomorrow.
Meg

Old 10-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Can lyme sufferers donate blood?

Hi Meg...WOW you go girl. Joining the Navy..good for you.

Have you looked into Dr. Jernigan's Nauticals?? Some people have done his tinctures and have gotten better. I mean if you can't get to the states or a Lyme Literate Medical doctor as of yet...Possibly these will help you. And you don't have to go to a doctor's appt.

"IF" you have lyme you really need to start some sort of treatment. You don't want all of your studies to go to waste. Meaning you could get disabled without treatment.

I do wish you well! Good luck on your test and studies.....

Hugs

Old 10-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
(female)

Meg01 HB User
Re: Can lyme sufferers donate blood?

Thanks I was dianosed when I was five with lyme, and went on anti biotics for a good three years or such. However, it kept popping up on the blood tests they did up there, but not the ones they do down here. NZ doesnt have lyme. I lived in Connecticut for most of my childhood and picked it up there.
Meg

Closed Thread