It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: chesterfield, ma usa
Posts: 18
harvick29 HB User
Stroke-like symptoms?????

I have been diagnosed as having lyme and my symptoms are all over the place. I have many doctors, none that I am to confident in. I currently was hospitalized for having complete numbness and heaviness on right side of bodyand I also was shaking initially on on one side and started spreading to entire body. I could not walk. It was extremely scaring. And all test came back normal. Has anyone else had this experience? And did it happen again? And what did they find out?

 
Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 63
Writeart HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

Hi Harvick,

My initial problem was stroke-like symptoms. I started shaking uncontrollably and had vision problems. I also was hospitalized. A few weeks later I got numbness (almost complete) from navel to knees. I later found out I also had babesiosis (actually in my case this was diagnosed before the Lyme) and I believe that was the cause of the shaking. Were you tested for co-infections?

HTH,

Writeart

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 10-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: chesterfield, ma usa
Posts: 18
harvick29 HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

They have not tested me for coinfections. I am going to the regular doctor today I will ask. Do they treat the coinfections different? I am currently on my second week of Rochephin by IV. I truly do not feel any different, except for that scary episode. I truly thought I was no longer going to be living. What have they done for you?

 
Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: west Virginia
Posts: 73
Yourtroubl HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

I had a TIA (small stroke) after 1 1/2 years of pain and issues. It saved my life because thats when they found the Lyme.

I think its common.

 
Old 10-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 60
TropicalTrace HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

When my lyme first hit me they thought I had had a stroke. My right leg went out on me and I could not walk. My whole right side was numb with pins and needles. It last 8 weeks for me, but that was with know treatment as it wasn't until 7 months later that I was diagnosed with lyme.

Tracy

 
Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: chesterfield, ma usa
Posts: 18
harvick29 HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourtroubl View Post
I had a TIA (small stroke) after 1 1/2 years of pain and issues. It saved my life because thats when they found the Lyme.

I think its common.
I have been under treatment for lyme since the beginning of August. And I still had this mini-stroke. How was your lyme treated?

Harvick 29

 
Old 10-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: chesterfield, ma usa
Posts: 18
harvick29 HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalTrace View Post
When my lyme first hit me they thought I had had a stroke. My right leg went out on me and I could not walk. My whole right side was numb with pins and needles. It last 8 weeks for me, but that was with know treatment as it wasn't until 7 months later that I was diagnosed with lyme.

Tracy
I know how scary that is. So how are things going now?

 
Old 10-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 63
Writeart HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvick29 View Post
They have not tested me for coinfections. I am going to the regular doctor today I will ask. Do they treat the coinfections different? I am currently on my second week of Rochephin by IV. I truly do not feel any different, except for that scary episode. I truly thought I was no longer going to be living. What have they done for you?
I was treated for babesiosis first...yes, the co-infections are treated differently. The symptoms more or less went away by themselves (or went away after I was treated for babesiosis).

Writeart

 
Old 10-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #9
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 60
TropicalTrace HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

Hi Haverick,

I was getting better. I have been treated for the last 5 months with antibiotics for the lyme and most of my symptoms improved. I've had to stop my antibiotics for the last two weeks becauce my liver enzymes went wacky and I am giving the great detoxifier a break.

When my lyme attacked me in a big way, they first thought TIA, then when my symptoms did not resolve after 24 hours, they thought stoke but as the MRI was clean.... that what started me on my diagnostic nightmare. I was only 28 years old at the time, with the only risk factor was that I smoked. I think because the way the lyme bothers my nerves, everything is either right side or left side. The neurological symptoms that affect my arms and legs (and even torso) are mostly on the right side of my body. The twitching, cramps, tremors, jerks and such only the most bothersome on my right side. Now in regards to the nerves in my head, they are all left side. I get stabbing pains on the left side of my head, my left eye hurts.

I think it confuses these doctor with this right brain - left brain symptoms. After the talk about TIA and stroke, then came the MS and ALS disscussions. Of course with "normal test results" in regards to standard blood test and imagining, then it must be a conversion disorder or stress disorder.

I had read somewhere that lyme can attack one side of the body only, causing symptoms on either the right or left.

You have been diagnosed with lyme, right? Are you being treated?

Tracy

 
Old 10-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 537
datgrlstef HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvick29 View Post
I have been diagnosed as having lyme and my symptoms are all over the place. I have many doctors, none that I am to confident in. I currently was hospitalized for having complete numbness and heaviness on right side of bodyand I also was shaking initially on on one side and started spreading to entire body. I could not walk. It was extremely scaring. And all test came back normal. Has anyone else had this experience? And did it happen again? And what did they find out?

I haven't had the shakes, but at the end of April, I went to the ER because the entire left side of my body went numb. I called my neuro, and she thought that although I wasn't at high risk for a stroke, it could still be one. I went in, and only because the sensation spread just slightly to the right side, they didn't do a cat scan. (And agreed it was not a stroke). This has happened to me a couple of times since then, and I suppose I can only attribute it to the Lyme.. because after the first episode, I had an MRI. I had no lesions.. other issues appeared, but no lesions. I tested positive for Lyme about 6 weeks later.

 
Old 10-13-2007, 05:24 AM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: chesterfield, ma usa
Posts: 18
harvick29 HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalTrace View Post
Hi Haverick,

I was getting better. I have been treated for the last 5 months with antibiotics for the lyme and most of my symptoms improved. I've had to stop my antibiotics for the last two weeks becauce my liver enzymes went wacky and I am giving the great detoxifier a break.

When my lyme attacked me in a big way, they first thought TIA, then when my symptoms did not resolve after 24 hours, they thought stoke but as the MRI was clean.... that what started me on my diagnostic nightmare. I was only 28 years old at the time, with the only risk factor was that I smoked. I think because the way the lyme bothers my nerves, everything is either right side or left side. The neurological symptoms that affect my arms and legs (and even torso) are mostly on the right side of my body. The twitching, cramps, tremors, jerks and such only the most bothersome on my right side. Now in regards to the nerves in my head, they are all left side. I get stabbing pains on the left side of my head, my left eye hurts.

I think it confuses these doctor with this right brain - left brain symptoms. After the talk about TIA and stroke, then came the MS and ALS disscussions. Of course with "normal test results" in regards to standard blood test and imagining, then it must be a conversion disorder or stress disorder.

I had read somewhere that lyme can attack one side of the body only, causing symptoms on either the right or left.

You have been diagnosed with lyme, right? Are you being treated?

Tracy
Hi Tropicaltrace,

I did test positive for lyme. I am currently on IV Rochephin and the stroke-like reaction happened about day 7. I am not sure if it could be herx reaction and I am truly scared that it is going to happen again. The numbness on the right side of head is pretty constant. I am sorry it happened to you as well but it is also helpful to me knowing that I am not losing my mind. I think my doctor is trying to write it off as being a panic attack. I think he has done all he can for me. I have to move on and find llmd. I have an appointment but it is six weeks away. Are you getting care from llmd?

 
Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #12
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 60
TropicalTrace HB User
Re: Stroke-like symptoms?????

Yes, I am being treated by an LLMD. Its been a little difficult as he is in Canada and I am in Singapore. I have a good doctor who is willing to run all the tests he asks for and prescribe the medications he wants me to take, but I think now that my liver enzymes have gone up, she (my GP) is getting a little scared about the amount of antibiotics he prescribes.


No you are not losing your mind. This disease does weird thing to your body. Do they think you had a TIA, are you taking anything for it, like an aspirin?

Who is treating you now? Are you under the care of an LLMD and switching to a new one, or you waiting 6 weeks to for your first appointment with an LLMD.

Tracy

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
stroke and osteoporosis Elisimova Osteoporosis 1 04-19-2010 06:28 PM
stroke vrelkins Stroke 1 12-19-2009 05:19 AM
UT Houston stroke experts host free forum DeborahLake Stroke 0 02-18-2009 11:27 AM
Stroke/sleeping alot LeeAnn1365 Stroke 15 06-19-2008 07:21 PM
Husband had stroke 12 days ago, any information? oneandonlyalone Stroke 1 12-29-2006 12:04 PM




« - - - | Cross Roads »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



jojo (69), jenj770 (45), tess201 (30), ticker (14), Administrator (11), 6Blues (9), annalisa9397 (7), dganz (5), Katherine777 (5), lala52 (5)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1175), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (903), Titchou (846), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (753), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!