It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Results of my last LLMD appt

Hey,

Just thought I would post what my LLMD said in his letter to me today. I had asked him about Babesia (I'm fairly certain I have it) and treating it based on my symptoms. I also asked about when we could try to get me a PICC line. I also asked about getting on Flagyl b/c I had the biggest herx on that. I also asked him about his opinion on Cat's Claw. Here's what he said in response:

W/ regards to the cat's claw, that would be fine to take that along w/ antibiotics. I have not seen any dramatic results in people who have taken it, but it does appear to be safe and doesn't interfere with the abx. With regard to Flagyl, I am not opposed to trying it, although I would certainly be careful w/ it since it can cause a significant herx reaction. I would consider holding off on it now until we sort out some of these other issues (i.e. Babesia) and that we are sure that you have adapted to the current antibiotics.

In terms of going to the IV therapy, certainly that is a consideration. Patients who have not improved significantly on oral antibiotics and have neurological symptoms are reasonably good candidates for the IV therapy.

I agree that Babesia is a considerable concern w/ you, particularly given the severe night sweats, dark urine and low RBC count. The tests for Babesia are not great, however, there is a new recent test that we have been using that seems to be better than what we have had before. I have had over 20 positives tests just this summer looking for this newer strain (WA-1) than I have seen in a decade. Therefore, I do think that it would be worth getting the routine tests. I may consider treating you anyway even if the tests come back negative; however, if the tests were to come back positive, we would definitely have an answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Results of my last LLMD appt

Hi KeyLyme. It sounds like you have a lot of possible treatments to consider.

I thought the WA Babesiosis test was for the CA/WA area strain?

I took Tinidazole for the cyst from along with another antibiotic. It is similar to Flagyl but is supposed to be easier to tolerate. You may want to ask your doctor about it. I had some doozy herxes on it, but it helped a lot.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker View Post
Hi KeyLyme. It sounds like you have a lot of possible treatments to consider.

I thought the WA Babesiosis test was for the CA/WA area strain?

I took Tinidazole for the cyst from along with another antibiotic. It is similar to Flagyl but is supposed to be easier to tolerate. You may want to ask your doctor about it. I had some doozy herxes on it, but it helped a lot.

I'm not too familiar w/ this "new" test or the WA strain. What all do you know about it?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi KeyLyme. From what I understand, this tests for the strain of Babesiosis that is found in the California, Washington state, etc area. Do you think you were infected there?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker View Post
Hi KeyLyme. From what I understand, this tests for the strain of Babesiosis that is found in the California, Washington state, etc area. Do you think you were infected there?
I live in Kansas City. I remember I was bit by a tick and developed a rash in a rural area outside of KC back in 2003. It's weird how people in the KC area are testing positive for a strain on the west coast. I know my LLMD sees people from around the country so maybe these people are from that geographic area? I'm not quite sure.

I'll go get the test but I think it's a waste of money because I'm sure it will come back negative. Hopefully he will give me the mepron regardless of the test results.

Closed Thread