It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User
Check this out........

I got together with a friend of my family xxxx , over the wekend, the one that was seeing a neuro for the possibility of lyme. Well, he was tested at Stony Brook (I'm thinking of testing there as well). His results are as follows..

LYME DISEASE SEROLOGY (I guess this is the elisa)

NON -REATIVE PATIENT SPECIMEN O.D. 0.108

WESTERN BLOT RESULT IgM- Negative
Igg- Negative

CDC specefic kDa band reactivity: NONE
Igm and Igg reactivitiy to "CDC" non-specific bands only.

Igm NONE SPECIFIC BANDS = 18, 34, 93
Igg NON-SPECIFIC BANDS = 29

Then it goes on to say.....

While there is someIgm and Igg band reactivity, these results do not meet CDC criteria for a positive western blot.

My friend was told that his lyme test was extremely negative.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, he was put on antibiotics as a percaution for around a month or so. So he was on antibiotics when he was tested.
I don't know what to tell him

Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Check this out........

Hi 3love. From what I have heard, Stony Brook is not a great lab for tick-borne illness testing.

There is no completely reliable test for Lyme, and results can vary by lab. IgeneX uses more sensitive testing and lists more bands on the Western Blot.

The CDC requires several bands to be present for the test to be positive. Many people who have Lyme do not get this many bands. Lyme doctors look at which bands are positive. Some are specific for Lyme. Band 34 is a Lyme specific band.

I would suggest that he get tested through IgeneX and be evaluated by a Lyme doctor. He also needs to be tested for the co-infections.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

ticker, I have read that band 18, 34 and 93 are lyme specific bands, but his report says that these bands are NON-SPECIFIC....
I also read some where that band 34 is so speciic to lyme that it was used for a vaccine.....so why then was he told that he was extremely negative. I would think that being "extremely negative" (I thnk this is such a moronic interpretation of results) you would have no bands present.

By the way, this doc does not "trust" IgeneX. He feels that they give false positives.

Thanks ,
J

Old 10-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
(female)

Kelly5907 HB User

3love... Band 31 is the band they used for vaccines...There are many people out there who test negitive through igenex... you cant just go by bloodwork to get treated for lyme.. you have to go by symptoms as well...and stonybrook is not a good lab to use for lyme anymore... good luck

Kelly

Closed Thread