It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

4sons HB User
WB results

Phoey, Igenex results: IGG NEGATIVE band 28 +, band 31 IND, band 39 IND, Band 41 +++, band 45 ++, band 66 +

IGM: band28 +, band 30 +, band 31 IND, band 39 IND, band 41 +

Would a LLMD consider this significant ? Thanks for your help everybody. I hope every one is having a good day.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: WB results

Hi 4 sons. Below is the breakdown of the Western Blot bands:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia
12 specific for Bb
18 unknown
20 cross-reactive for Borrellia
21 unknown
22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band
23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb
28 unknown
30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and
one California strain
31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb
34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb
35 specific for Bb
37 specific for Bb
38 cross-reactive for Bb
39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb
41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia
45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have
this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)
50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein
60 cross reactive for all Borrellia
66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria
83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane
93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

The IgM tests for a more recent infection, the IgG a longer standing one.

Bands 31 and 39 are Lyme specific bands and yours are either positive or IND. Some people who have band 45 positive have Ehrlichiosis. I did. Band 41 is often the first to show.

On the Western Blot, the CDC requires a large number of bands to show for it to be considered positive yet many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands show. Lyme doctors often focus on which bands show, some are specific for Lyme. Testing should be used as an aid in diagnosis not solely for diagnosis. A lyme knowledgeable doctor will not rely solely on test results to diagnose tick-borne illnesses.

I believe a Lyme doctor would find these results significant. If you have not done so, I highly recommend getting tested for the co-infections.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
(female)

4sons HB User

Thank you Ticker, I get easily frustrated, nothing is black and white in Lyme disease, is it. Should I wait to get tested for co-infections when I have my first visit with the LLMD? It is not until December, unless I get a cancelation.My PCP is not very comfortable with my self diagnosis. Every step is a battle. It has been made easier by people like you though. I wish I could return the favor. All I can do is tell you is that you have helped a lot of people by giving them strength, and guidance. I am sure many are very grateful. Thank you

Old 10-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

4sons, thank you so much! Your words mean a lot to me.

Which doctor will you be seeing (you can use initials if you prefer)? Maybe there is one you could see sooner?

You may want to call the Lyme doctor's office and see if you can go ahead and get the tests done. When done at IgeneX, it can take about three weeks to get the results. This would save some time. Many Lyme doctors believe the co-infections need to be treated first.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
(female)

4sons HB User

I am seeing Dr. S. B , in Chesapeake,Va. I got her name from one of our North Carolina Lyme organizations. Have you heard anything about her? I will go ahead and get the co-infections panel done.Again thank you! Also, do you know anything about the STARI infection? Have a good night!

Closed Thread