It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

Bon112 HB User
Newly diagnosed

Hi all,

I just found out last week that I tested positive for Lyme. I live in Northwestern New Jersey...tons of deer and lots of ticks!

Looking back, I now know the day I was bit and what the red mark on the back of my arm was. I was in bad shape in the summer and stupidly lived with it...thinking I had developed arthritis

I am on 4 weeks of Doxyclycline 100mg 2xday. I assume I will be re-tested . then.

One of my questions is....what it the significance..if any..to the number of bands which test positive? On the IGG WB, I test positive for 10 bands . ( 93, 66, 58, 45, 41, 39, 30, 28, 23, 18) On the IgG/IgM..my result is: 4.31H
Do results indicate level of severity? Or..is it just positive or negative?

Appreciate any info. Thanks!
Bonnie

Old 10-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed

Hi Bonnie and welcome.

Sorry to hear you're sick with Lyme. Its a real drag.

Back in 2002 (or was it 2001? LOL ... brain fog), I remember my rash was a red oval of VERY ITCHY bumps. The itching drove me crazy.

I thought it was some allergic reaction or poison oak, or poison something, and I stupidly dismissed it.

I also had knee pain that winter and I stupidly ignored that also, thinking it was old age coming up the hill to greet me.

My balance went out the window and I began to swerve and walk into walls and so started my quest for a diagnosis. I was dancing at the time (ballroom, latin, swing, and country western - ever been to the Colorado Cafe'?) and the loss of balance was my wake up call.

While bouncing from doctor to doctor, I was getting sicker and sicker; the Lyme had wrestled its way into my nervous system.

I saw 9 doctors before I was properly tested, diagnosed and began treatment. It took over a year until I found a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD) who would treat me.

Seeing an LLMD is the best thing you can do for yourself. There is one in North Jersey, Dr. F. If you want her full name, let us know; a few folks see her or have seen her. I hear she's awesome.

You may be able to find her info in the sticky threads on the top of the Lyme healthboard page.

200mg per day is not a strong enough dose of Doxy. I think the dose for Lyme disease is 400-600mg per day.

No way is 4 weeks treatment long enough to treat Lyme.

The bacteria that causes strep throat has a life span of a few hours, so the whole infectious population can be killed with a 10 day course of antibiotics.

The spirochete that causes Lyme has a life span of about 28 days, so it takes long term antibiotics to kill all those darned buggers.

Do you recall exactly when you were bit and when you had the rash?

I was infected for 2 or 3 years before it was caught. If you've caught Lyme early you're in a good position to get rid of it!

With Doxy, please be careful with sunshine! I burned my knuckles through my truck's windshield, even while wearing sunscreen.

Also, Doxy can burn your esophogus if you lie down after taking it. Lastly, I think you cannot have any dairy within 2 hours before and after taking a dose.

As for your Western Blot results, there's a sticky thread at the top of this topic that explains what the bands mean and how to determine a positive result. Check it out, it may help you interpret your results.

Hang in there, okay? And happy Halloween !

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread