It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
(male)

Unlucky Lyme HB User
Co-Infections

Hi, I here so much how important it is to test for co-infections. I have the IgeneX requistion form. Can anybody tell me the names of all the co-infections that I should be tested for.

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Co-Infections

Hi I will try and help. Sorry for any mis-spells...

Babesia, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Erichliosis...

I do not believe these are on the Igenex testing...but I would ask your doctor which I have found to really have a big importance on healing is getting your Epstein Barr Virus, Cytomeglovirus, (any herpe) titer down. Also ask to be tested for Chlamydia Pnumoniae bacteria...Another bacteria that can cause many conditioins also...

Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
(female)

Bookfreak HB User

You can get tested for co-infections through Fry Laboratories. They do a blood smear where they can actually see the infection. I just did a test and came out positive for Bartonella. It costs about $495.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi Unlucky.

Yay to you getting tested for co-infections. Jojo covered them all plus a few more icky things to get tested for. Jojo's awesome.

I tested negative for all the co-infections.

My LLMD is a good one and she tried experimenting with co-infection antibiotics to see if I would react, even though I didn't test positive.

I was on Malarone (can't recall what co-infection that kills, darned brain fog) but I didn't react at all to that one.

Then I tried Levaquin (for Bartonella) and I reacted very strongly: felt like even more crap than usual, my sypmtoms got even worse, rashes all over.

The good news is that I improved tremendously on the Levaquin.

So, maybe, if you test negative you can be treated as if you have co-infections and see what happens.

Are you seeing an LLMD?

Peace and health and Happy Halloween to you,
Mickie

Last edited by 6Blues; 10-31-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
(male)

Unlucky Lyme HB User
Wink Re: Co-Infections

Thanks everyone for responding. Just more thing to take care of in the fight. It will be good when this nightmare is over.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Unlucky Lyme. IgeneX can test for Lyme, Babesiosis, both types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), and Bartonella. They do not test for Mycoplasma. Some Lyme doctors use MDL in NJ for Mycoplasma testing.

Good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
(female)

marielynn22 HB User

Hi can anyone not herx? ok maybe i should clarify, i am 23 and have lyme babesia(according to igenex) and possible bartonella and rockymountain. Im very sick, in a matter of two years i've become compleately disabled and in screaming pain, ive tryed amox, and tinni for only two weeks cause i had life threatening side effects, ive also done rifes, i have been on the Marshall protocol for three months and to my knowledge have no idea what a herx it, i always feel realllly ill and just sicker every single day? i am starting zithromax in the next couple days im praying it will give me a glipse of relief and hope. anyways im sorry this is short and confusing, im in a bad state any comments, would be appreciated. thanks so much
bye

Old 11-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
(female)

ktinbk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Blues View Post
Hi Unlucky.

My LLMD is a good one and she tried experimenting with co-infection antibiotics to see if I would react, even though I didn't test positive.

Are you seeing an LLMD?

Peace and health and Happy Halloween to you,
Mickie
Hi Mickie - sorry if this is a silly question. what LLMD are you seeing in NJ? I am in NYC and i'm trying to collect a list of LLMDs that i could see. So far i've been told Dr. Raxlan in NYC, and while i believe he's an amazing Dr. he's far outside of my price range right now. Any other names of docs would be fabulous. Again, sorry if it's inappropriate to ask you to share. Just thought it's worth a shot. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi ktinbk.

No questions are silly ones.

There are 2 really good LLMD's in NJ: Dr. Eiras in Jackson and Dr. Fein in East Caldwell (or it may be Caldwell - sry I can't remember)

You can find their full names and contact info in the sticky thread at the top of the Lyme board.

Good luck to you in getting an appointment; if you call and your appointment is far away, ask the doc to call you if they have any cancellations, you may get in sooner.

Seeing an LLMD is the best thing I did for myself, but I'm practically broke from my medical bills. Without my health, I have nothing, so my numero uno priority is to get back to an energetic woman. Once I regain my health, I'll be back in money in no time at all.

Hang in there and get yourself to one of the LLMD's. It'll be the best thing you ever did. If you have any more questions - please ask. I'm pretty much an open book here.

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Old 11-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
(female)

ktinbk HB User

Thanks Mickie! I am going to call on Monday morning and see how quickly i can get in.

Have a great weekend!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi marielynn, welcome to the board!

I am sorry you are so sick. From what I understand, when someone has co-infecitons it can make the symptoms of all infections more severe.

Are you seeing a Lyme doctor? Many believe the co-infections need to be treated first for Lyme treatment to be effective. This was true in my case. Babesiosis is similar to malaria and needs to be treated with an anti-malarial (often Mepron) and antibiotic (often Zithromax, Biaxin, or Ketek).

Some people have herxes and their symptoms are intensified and/or they get new ones and then they feel better until the next herx. Some people feel worse for a while when on treatment. I think part of this is due to how long you have been sick, if co-infections are present, the type of symptoms you have, etc.

When treating tick-borne illnesses, it is normal to feel worse before feeling better, and it can take time. Typically the longer you have been sick the longer you need to be treated.

I suggest talking with your doctor about treating the co-infections first. Eradicating the Babesiosis may help you feel much better. The antibiotic taken for this may also be effective for Lyme.

Hang in there okay?

Closed Thread