It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
(male)

1qwerasdf HB User
Lots of Questions.

there are periods when i don't have acces to the web so i save all my q. for when i finally get on the web. sorry.

whatever you can answer will be greatly appreciated.

1) If i think i might have Lyme, does it make sense to take ProBiotics (or some other vitamins/supplements) to help fight the infection until i start antibiotics?

2) if i have a prescription for 3 weeks of Amoxiccilan 500 mg x 3 day, is there any benefit in taking it, or if i'm not gonna cont. more than 3 weeks better not to?

3) anybody here cured? how long were you on med. for? any lasting side effects?

4) when you're taking so much antibiotics for so long, are there side effects? (weight gain, liver damage, )

5) About ProBiotics; if you can make some powder that creates 'good' bacteria, that means you know the difference bet. the 'good' and the 'bad'. if that is case, why do they make the antibiotics to kill ALL the bacteria, if they know the difference then let them incorporate that knowledge into the making of the meds.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: Lots of Questions.

Hi 1qwerasdf!

I'll try to answer your questions:
1) If i think i might have Lyme, does it make sense to take ProBiotics (or some other vitamins/supplements) to help fight the infection until i start antibiotics?
Vitamins and healthy eating are always a good idea. I'm not sure about the probiotics before starting treatment. They can't hurt though. There are supplements you can take (ie: Cats Claw) but I never had tremendous luck with them so I'm no expert. Maybe someone else will chime in with recommendations.

2) if i have a prescription for 3 weeks of Amoxiccilan 500 mg x 3 day, is there any benefit in taking it, or if i'm not gonna cont. more than 3 weeks better not to?
This is a question for your doctor. I don't know if taking a three week course would be a good thing or a bad thing.

3) anybody here cured? how long were you on med. for? any lasting side effects?
There are folks who have recovered from Lyme. They're out living and enjoying their lives again, so they don't post often. They do post so keep your eyes peeled. The length of treatment depends on many factors, for example, how long ago you were bitten and infected, how severe your symptoms are, how strong your individual immune system is, etc. I was infected for 2 or 3 years before my symptoms drove me a doctor and I have been taking massive doses of antibiotics for 3 years. I don't know how much longer it will take me to kill the rest of these darned buggers. Personally, I have no side affects, but that's just me.

4) when you're taking so much antibiotics for so long, are there side effects? (weight gain, liver damage, )
Like I said above, I have no side affects that I know of and my LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor) runs blood work twice a month so we'll catch any impact to my liver. I have major weight gain, but it was prior to starting treatment so it is a symptom of the Lyme, not the treatment.

5) About ProBiotics; if you can make some powder that creates 'good' bacteria, that means you know the difference bet. the 'good' and the 'bad'. if that is case, why do they make the antibiotics to kill ALL the bacteria, if they know the difference then let them incorporate that knowledge into the making of the meds.?
If I could answer this question, I'd be a millionaire writing this from a south pacific island.

Fighting Lyme is a tough and sometimes very long road.

The best thing I did was to get myself under the care of an LLMD for Lyme and it's co-infections.

Are you seeing an LLMD? When were you bitten? What are your current symptoms? Are you under any treatment at all now?

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
(male)

1qwerasdf HB User

Thanks for your time 6Blues.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi 1qwerasdf.

1. Acidophilus helps prevent yeast overgrowth by replacing the good bacteria that antibiotics can destroy. I don't know if they would be beneficial to take when if you are not taking antibiotics. When you do take antibiotics, make sure you wait at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotics to take the acidophilus. The best ones to get are refrigerated and have a high culture count. Most healthfood stores have them.

2. Are you planning on seeing a Lyme doctor? Some doctors want patients on meds for testing, some do not. Three weeks is not long enough treatment and the dose you have been presecribed is not strong enough. I believe the minimum recommended dose of Amoxicillin for Lyme is 3000 mg daily. I suggest calling the Lyme doctor you will be seeing to ask about this. Personally, I would not take it beause the dose is not proper, and you have not been tested yet.

3. I believe that people can get better with proper treatment. It is not an easy process. It is normal to feel worse before feeling better, and it can take time. Each case is different and needs to be treated individually.

4. It is always good to know ahead of time what possible side effects medicines may cause. If you ever experience any of them, call your doctor right away. Lyme disease can cause elevated liver enzymes in some people. If your liver is healthy, taking the supplement Milk Thistle daily can help. Ask your doctor if it is okay for you to take it.

5. I don't know the answer to this question, but it is likely too difficult to make antibiotics that will target only the bacteria that is detrimental.

I suggest getting to a Lyme doctor as soon as possible and getting tested for all infections.

Closed Thread