It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
(male)

cappy7 HB User
Lyme and Thyroid problems

Hello all,

This post relates to my most recent post about Iodoral, a supplemental form of Iodine. I've been going over my symptoms lately and realized my thyroid is not functioning properly. I noted some of the symptoms I've had for awhile in my post about Iodoral. For example, low body temperature, cold hands and feet, excess mucous production, dry skin, etc. I didn't know that much about the thyroid, but have learned a lot in recent weeks.

I guess my question is, how many folks have thyroid problems along with Lyme? This seems to be fairly common and could be the reason for many symptoms. As I stated in my other post, I will keep the group updated on my Iodine supplementation. So far, it's going well. The thyroid needs adequate amounts of Iodine to function properly, as well as many other organs. It doesn't matter whether you are hypo or hyper, iodine normalizes the function of the thyroid. Earlier in the week I took my temperature and it was 97.7. Two hours after taking the Iodoral it went up to 98.3. That is the highest it has been since I started checking it months ago. I also got more energy. Something positive is happening!

-Dave

Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: Lyme and Thyroid problems

Howdy Dave.

I am so happy for you! I don't ever recall anyone here raising the topic of Iodine before you and jojo. So, my hats off to you both.

I had my thyroid levels tested and they were off (I think they were low) so my LLMD put me on thyroid meds but they had zero affect, so I stopped them.

I also have cold extremities, more mucous than normal, dry skin, etc. I never once thought that they could be related.

Wow, thanks for doing all this research and keeping us updated.

I see my LLMD next week and I put a huge yellow post-it note in my notebook to remind myself to ask for her Iodine recommended dosage for me.

Peace and health to you,
Capt. McBlues

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Dave. Some people who have Lyme, including myself, also have a thyroid disorder.

Have you ever had thyroid testing done? I suggest having the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3 and T4), and thhyroid antibodies tested. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view. Some people who have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis have elevated antibodies but normal other results. This is why it is important to have the antibodies tested. If they are positive, treatment is warranted.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Mickie, how long did you take thyroid meds?

When someone is hypothyroid, usually a very low dose of meds is prescribed. Thyroid disorders have to be treated carefully. It is dangerous to take too much medicine too fast.

A low dose is often prescribed and the person is usually tested again six to eight weeks later. It takes this long to fully utilize the meds. Depending on symptoms, another small increase may be made and the person is retested again in six to eight weeks. This process is repeated as long as necessary. It can take some time to get to the optimal dose.

Many symptoms of Lyme and thyroid disorders can overlap. If you have both, getting the thyroid properly treated can really help.

Closed Thread