It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Unhappy Lost my job and my health insurance

I lost my job on October 31st and my health insurance also.

Why does bad crap keep happening to me?!?!? I never cheat, lie, steal and I'm a nice person, but jeez louise, it feels like I have a 'crap-magnet' embedded in my body somewhere.

I'm just so stinkin' mad. How on earth can I handle passing an interview and getting a new job? I was only able to keep the job I had because I could work from home.

Just having to get out of bed each morning, shower, dress and commute to an office is enough to wipe me out cold. I'd pass out asleep at my desk every day.

argh! What the heck am I supposed to do without my health insurance??? I can't afford the IV Zithro and the oral Levaquin on my own!

I calculated my COBRA premium rate will be about $800 a month. Holy moly! I can't afford that!

This is crap, plain bull-poopy, and I'm sick of crap in my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User
Re: Lost my job and my health insurance

Mickie, I read the title to your post and gasped...then I saw it was YOU.
I'm so sorry. I've been expecting to lose my job and insurance and had no idea Coba is 800.00 per month for one person.

With all you have been going through, it may be time to look into a Social Security Atty. I just can't see how you could begin the stress of a new job right now.

This is just awful. I wish there was something I could do.

Rodney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
(female)

njgirl14 HB User

6Blues

I am so sorry to hear this.

I hope you can afford to keep the COBRA until you can get other coverage. My ins agent tld me if you have a gap in coverage they can hit you with pre existing conditions. I am in NJ also.

Have you considered contacting the drug companies and seeing if they can help you? Most have patient assistance programs.

Kim

Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Kim and Rodney.

Currently I am looking into how to keep my IV Zithro coming. Each person's COBRA rate depends on how much you contribute to the premium and how much your employer paid. Mine was a 50/50 split, so my COBRA rate will be about $800.

I have to ask my LLMD how much she can get it for, maybe it will be cheap, but I suspect the Levaquin will be a lot too, so I don't know which path to go down.

The COBRA paperwork should come monday or tuesday. I'll take a look and report back on my findings.

I was thinking about contacting a SS attorney. It shouldn't cost me anything to have them investigate my case and I do have a CDC positive Western Blot to show.

Sigh. I just don't get it. I think I'm still in shock.

Going into the hot tub, probably with a couple of beers, and my iPod. That'll help my spirit a bit.

Thanks for the comforting words! You guys are

Old 11-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

6Blues-

I am so sorry. I felt so bad when I saw your thread. Please hang in there. You are such a strong person and over the time that I have "known" you on this board I have seen you get over huge hurdles.

I know things must look bleak, but please hang in there. I am thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way.

( )

Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

Mickie, you are doing awesome handling this news. I know this was something you had talked about for a long time...one of your fears.

Things will work out!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Mickie, I am very sorry this has happened. Bad things happen to good people. It is senseless.

Rally any and every possible resource. Contact the manufacturers of the meds you are on to see if they will provide them to you. Research other prescription assistance programs.

You should be able to get unemployment right? Have you thought about applying for disability? A Social Security attorney will only get paid if you win, and there is a limit on what they can collect. I know these things take time.

Hang in there okay?

Last edited by ticker; 11-03-2007 at 08:00 AM.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi MicB....I did just like Rodney...scanned the titles saw the thread then saw your name...OH MY GOSH SWEETIE...I am sooooo flippin sorry! There seems to be nothing but bad news around me here lately...Trust me you aren't the only person that is having their teeth knocked in by life...ugh!

Are you just laid off for the winter or are they weeding people all the way out?

What about unemployment and State Disability? Can you get on either of them?

You are strong and you have those manly things hanging... I know you won't let anyone hold you down long...

You are loved here very much...sending you good thoughts and LOTS of Prayer's!!

Holding your hand!

Hugs

Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

Hi,

I'm pretty new around here but I just wanted to send you a big HUG and to let you know i'm sorry.

Please keep your chin up

Amy

Old 11-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner...I'm 2 weeks into IV treatment and sicker than a dog.

I'll be praying that you can get on some type of disability. I used to be an insurance agent and it's imperative that you do whatever you can to make your COBRA payment. If you lapse, they'll knock you w/ a "pre-existing" condition clause and won't cover your Lyme's treatment.

I would think you have a great case for Social Security/Disability.

Again, I'm so sorry that you're having to go through all of this.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle, Ticker, Amy and KeyLyme - thanks so much for your encouragement and suggestions.

I'm waiting to see what my COBRA rate will be before I make any decisions.

I plan to call a Social Security benefits law firm and talk to them about my case.

I'm updating my resume' and putting in out on some web sites in the slim chance that I can find another job working from home,

I hope I get through this without losing my house. That would break my heart into a million pieces.

Thanks again everyone!
Mickie

Closed Thread