It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

Writeart HB User
Problems from alcohol, herxing or going off Paxil?

Hi everybody,

I've been quiet lately because I've been busy as heck and for the most part, have been feeling a lot better. I finally pinpointed when I was infected (September 2006), and due to that, Dr. F. wants me to continue with my oral Minocycline treatment for a few more months.

I'm writing to ask a question because I had a problem last night that I haven't had in 5 months. I woke up in the middle of the night with chest pains and my heart racing. I'm trying to figure out what the cause of it might be.

The first possibility is alcohol. I am not a big drinker at all; it is safe to say that I average about one glass of wine every two months. And in the past year that I've had Lyme, the excessive hangover effect was one symptom I've never had. But last night I went out in the city and had 4 drinks in the course of 6 hours, which is a LOT for me. Needless to say, I won't be doing that again any time soon, but I am wondering if it could have caused that problem (I drank a ton of water and I'm not having a hangover today, thank God).

The second possibility is plain old herxing. My herxing has been infrequent and undramatic so I just don't know. I'd like to think it's that because, while it was awful, at least it would mean something good was happening.

Finally, I was prescribed Paxil way back in April (before I knew my problem was Lyme and my GP thought I was having anxiety attacks) and I've stayed on it all this time because he told me once I went on it, it was better for me to take it for at least 6 months, even if I didn't need it. I know Paxil can have some bad withdrawal symptoms but so far I've been free of them and it's been 3-4 weeks since I've taken any Paxil at all. So I'm not sure if withdrawal symptoms would suddenly show up now.

I'm hoping it doesn't mean that the Paxil was just masking those symptoms (heart racing and chest pains) and if I'm off it they're going to continue. I really dislike the Paxil but those symptoms were the 2 I couldn't live with; if I have to, I'll go back on it again.

I'm also a little bummed because I may be remembering wrong but I thought those particular symptoms were from either Bartonella or Babesiosis, and I thought I had those 2 licked (based on my test results). But I was only treated for Babesiosis for 3 weeks and not for Bartonella at all, so maybe not.

Oh well, one step at a time. I have to be a detective so first, the easiest thing to do is eliminate the alcohol and see if it goes away. If not, then I'll deal with the other stuff. I just wondered if anyone might have gone through something similar and might have some advice for me.

Thanks,

Writeart

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User
Re: Problems from alcohol, herxing or going off Paxil?

Hi Writeart- I think you are on the right track with the alcohol. I am greatly affected by it and can easily see that kind of reaction. Especially after 4! I cannot take 4 sips!

Well, I hope that is all it is! I am familiar with the paxil thing too. I take Zoloft- went on it for similar reason- having anxiety due to not knowing what is happening but now even though I am not anxious anymore, if I try to go off it, I get really dizzy. Not sure why. Maybe I am not going off it slowly enough- especially since I already tend to dizziness with the Lyme.

Good luck!

Closed Thread