It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User
low thyroid levels

Hi- I've seen several items on here about low thyriod numbers. I just got a call from my doc today. She is setting me up with an endocrinologist. I have another EMG (pin test) at the end of the month. Thought people who are tracking this type of thing might want to know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: low thyroid levels

Hi zandvoort. Did you have thyroid testing done and this is why the doctor wants you to see an endo?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Hi Ticker- yes, I saw a Rheumatologist last week bc my joints have been worse than usual (my symptoms are almost all neuro). She could tell my legs were weak and asked me to go for another EMG (last one a year ago- normal) and did some blood tests. ANA normal but saw Thyroid was low. I do not know the numbers. She said a couple were on the normal low borderline and a couple were just over the line low. Turns out my mom and grndmother and aunt all have hypothyroidism. Not sure if Lyme cn cause this or if it is just something ont he side but if it is causing my weight gain, I'd be ecstatic cause it can be controlled!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi zandvoort. I sugget getting copies of your results. If you need help interpreting them, let me know or post them at the thyroid board here. The people who post there are very helpful.

Tests that are important to get are the Free T3, Free T4 and thyroid antibodies. These are blood tests. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view.

Some symptoms of Lyme and hypothyroidism can overlap. Many people, including myself, have Lyme and a thyroid disorder.

I recommend learning as much as you can so you can get the best treatment. There are some excellent books available also. In some cases, finding a good thyroid doctor can be almost as hard as finding a good Lyme doctor. Learning as much as you can help you get the best treatment sooner.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
(male)

Rodney99 HB User

I too have low thyroid. I actually was diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism 2 years before my tick bite. I had no symptoms of hypo, it was just picked up during routine physical. Despite all my lyme symptoms, my latest thyroid panel was normal. Tsh slightly elevated (not been taking my thyroid meds like I should) but free t3 and free t4 are normal. So I know my symptoms are not from thyroid. I NEVER felt bad even when my thyroid levels were abnormal prior to treatment.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Tests

Add TSH to the list of important tests. It's routinely done but this is a pivotal test. I went undxed for over a year because my T3 an T4 were within normal levels but the idiot doctor failed to look at my TSH levels, the results of which were not in when the original blood work came back. Fast forward quite some time when I was almost toxic and subsequently dxed -- when my new doctor saw all my old results, turned out my TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) was through the roof! (It's the test that determines how hard your thyroid is working to get to the levels.)

Re: the antibody test, since Hypothyroidism runs in your family, chances are you might have Hashimoto's -- that's what I have.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rodney, have you ever had your thyroid antibodies tested? If they are positive, it indicated Hashimoto's Thyroiditist. When this is present, other results can be in the normal range but treatment is warranted. Hashimoto's is an auto-immune disorder.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Tests

Hi Bearygood. From what I understand, once treatment begins it is more important to go by the Free T levels. Sometimes people can get a suppressed TSH during treatment.

I also have Hashimoto's and my results were "normal" but I had antibodies present and symptoms. I had this for five years before starting treatment. Having Lyme and a thyroid disorder is a double whammy!

How are you doing on treatment?

Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

My doc does all levels and he is very cautious about not suppressing TSH. (From the time I was originally dxed I've decreased my dose probably about 3, maybe 4 times.) He's old school but very good and it wasn't until I saw him that I started getting bone density tests every 2 years (a must if you're on synthetic hormone). It's been about 18 years now and I'm doing fine although in retrospect, I wish I had tried Armour instead of Synthroid. I've thought about changing but it won't happen with this doctor and quite honestly, at this point my focus has been dealing with MS (which is what I have unless one day it is discovered otherwise. ).

ticker, what do you take? I hear you on the not treated part -- when I was finally dxed I was literally on the border of the danger zone!

Last edited by Bearygood; 11-17-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #10
(male)

Rodney99 HB User

Hey Ticker, no my antibody levels were always normal. Not sure what made me hypo. When on no meds at all my tsh is 5.5 or 6 so it's not too bad. I only have to take 50 mcg synthroid. Actually all my free t's are good. I have tried armour as well. Before I realized I had lyme I was convinced it had to be thyroid related because that was the only abnormal thing any of my blood tests ever showed. Armour can make you really jittery. So I just stay with synthroid now.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

wow- thanks for all the good advice everyone! Ticker, yes, I do get copies of everything. Just do not have them yet. I will definitely keep track of which tests are done. Thanks Beary.

Closed Thread