It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
(male)

SouthCarolina07 HB User
Quesion about Shoulder Surgery Recovery(esp for Ortho nurse or doc)....

I had shoulder surgery 6 days ago and I was just wondering if I should still be in this much pain(enough pain that I can't get out of the house and I'm basically turning into an extension of my tv)....

The procedure was something like, I'm paraphrasing here..."Shoulder stabilization, with mumford decompression and bankart repair" to repair a subacromial cyst and 360 degree labral tear... I do know there were 4 pins placed in my shoulder, something shaved, and something cut(clavical maybe), ligaments tightened, and finally some liquid that the doc put in my shoulder at the end that made the whole area tighten up(he told my parents that sometimes the liquid works magic, but sometimes it just doesn't--said my shoulder responded amazingly to the liquid and tightened up immediately)... HA HA. That's my paraphrasing, but if you're a ortho nurse I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about.

I didn't get to talk to the doc after surgery to ask him a few questions I now have. My parents talked to him and of course they don't ask any questions because they know very little about orthopaedic medicine(not that I do).

1)My doc told them that I don't need to do PT for at least a week and a half. All he has me do is lift my arm in the air a few times a day(with the help of my other arm). As well as 30 or so arm bends. Could this not result in the frozen shoulder terror I've heard so much about.

2)Should I still be in pain after 6 days? I didn't think any athroscopic surgery was that bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
(female)

njgirl14 HB User
Re: Quesion about Shoulder Surgery Recovery(esp for Ortho nurse or doc)....

I had this same surgery a few years ago and I remember thinking I can't believe how much this hurts and that it hurt for quite awhile. I had to take pain meds for over a week. I had had afew ortho surgeries before this and never took pain meds. When I had a shoulder surgery prior (same shoulder diff procedure) I was up and around the next day and back to the gym within a week (w/arm in sling). Much different with bankart repair.

Hope you feel better soon.

BTW do you have lyme too?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
(male)

SouthCarolina07 HB User
Re: Quesion about Shoulder Surgery Recovery(esp for Ortho nurse or doc)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgirl14 View Post
I had this same surgery a few years ago and I remember thinking I can't believe how much this hurts and that it hurt for quite awhile. I had to take pain meds for over a week. I had had afew ortho surgeries before this and never took pain meds. When I had a shoulder surgery prior (same shoulder diff procedure) I was up and around the next day and back to the gym within a week (w/arm in sling). Much different with bankart repair.

Hope you feel better soon.

BTW do you have lyme too?
Yes.. I do have Lyme.. Or I think I do.

Closed Thread