It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
(male)

1qwerasdf HB User
How much Acidophilus?

1. What’s the right way to take antibiotics (specifically Doxycycline)?
On an empty stomach? Before a meal? During a meal? Right After a meal? 10 min. after a meal? An hour after?

2. What about Acidophilus, when is it best to take it (the capsules)?
During the day, not at the time you take the meds? Before you take the med.? Right after you take the med.? A few minutes after? An hour after?
How many capsules? How many times a day?

3. Would it be better to take two 100mg Doxycycline capsules in one time every day vs. twice a day 100mg. ?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: How much Acidophilus?

Hi 1qwerasdf. As was posted before, 200 mg daily is not strong enough. Doses are often split.

Doxycycline can cause severe nausea. When taking Doxy, you cannot have any dairy, magnesium, or iron produts within two hours of taking it or it will not be absorbed properly. Avoid the sun. You can get a severe burn in minutes even when wearing sunscreen. Do not lay down for at least an hour after taking it or you can ulcerate your esophagus. This is very painful. Drink a full glass of water when you take it for the same reason.

Wait at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotics to take the acidophilus. Look for a refrigerated kind that has a high culture count. This should be listed on the label (such as 10 billion per capsule). It is good to take several a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

I'd follow your Dr's orders about when to take the Doxy as far as how many at once. I am on 100 g 3X a day.

Here is my day:

6:45AM: Vitamins, Acidophilus pills (2), Calcium and Joint Suppliments

7:30AM: Breakfast (Oatmeal with Soy milk-Non Fortified- and a piece of fruit)

9:30am: Doxy 1 with a snack (soy crips or brown rice cake with PB)

12:45pm: Lunch

3:00ish: Doxy 2 with a snack

6:30: Dinner

8:30: Doxy 3

I wish i could find room to get in some more Acidophulius

Old 11-25-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
(male)

1qwerasdf HB User

To Aimiloo:
Quote:
Doxy 2 with a snack
what does that mean? First you take the snack or first the meds? And how long do you wait in-between?

Old 11-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qwerasdf View Post
To Aimiloo:

what does that mean? First you take the snack or first the meds? And how long do you wait in-between?
I've found that i need food to go down with the pill...so If i'm eating an apple, i'll eat the apple first and then take the pill. Or a brown rice cake with peanut butter.

I made the mistake on thanksgiving of not eating much during the day as i wanted to not be full for dinner at 4. So i took my pill at 3, after only having had a few pieces of ham on glueten free roll at 1, and then a few soy crisps and that was terrible. I almost passed out at the thanksgiving table as i was SOOOOO dizzy.

Some of us need food when we take it, although the pill container says best on an empty stomach it does say you can take wiht a small meal or snack if need be.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
(female)

Aimiloo HB User

PS my pills say to take 2 pills 2-3 times a day, i just can't fit that into my pill schedule at the moment.

Closed Thread