It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
(male)

1qwerasdf HB User
Difference between Herx and adverse drug reactions?

Is it possible to tell the difference between Herx reactions and Adverse Drug reactions?

I know that the herx usually happens a few days after starting meds with flu like symptoms and aches. Is that very different than possible drug reactions?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Difference between Herx and adverse drug reactions?

Hi 1qwerasdf. A herx reaction can be an intensification of existing symptoms or you can experience new symptoms. It is not limited to flu-like symptoms.

Allergic reactions can include hives or rashes, shortness of breath, and difficulty breathing. Also check the pharmacy print-out for possible reactions to the specific meds you are taking.

If there is ever any question about what you are experiencing, call your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
(male)

brimmy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qwerasdf View Post
Is it possible to tell the difference between Herx reactions and Adverse Drug reactions?

I know that the herx usually happens a few days after starting meds with flu like symptoms and aches. Is that very different than possible drug reactions?
You might wish to consult a PDR at your local library, or purchase if you can afford it. You may find peace of mind in reviewing the full list of possible side effects, not just the most common ones that would be listed in the pharma insert.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

I found the internet extremly useful looking up side effects and drug interactions of drugs.

have a good day...

Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
(male)

rkr2008 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker View Post
Hi 1qwerasdf. A herx reaction can be an intensification of existing symptoms or you can experience new symptoms. It is not limited to flu-like symptoms.

Allergic reactions can include hives or rashes, shortness of breath, and difficulty breathing. Also check the pharmacy print-out for possible reactions to the specific meds you are taking.

If there is ever any question about what you are experiencing, call your doctor.
Hi,
I have been taking doxycycline 100 mg twice a day without food past 13 days.(I have yet to find an appointment with LLMD). However, I had some of my ealrier symptoms prop up but not so severe could tolerate them with anitinflammatory and pain killers. However I have slight headaches (which I used to have previously as well) which has not stopped yet. Also I had few new symptoms like heaviness on one of my eyelids and I am sleeping in the afternoon (for 2 to 3 hrs and then sleep at night around 11 pm). So was wondering if this herxheimer reactions/ adverse reactions to the ab/the ab dosage needs upward adjustments.
If somebody can please share some of their thoughts and experiences when they were initially diagnosed with lyme and put on doxycycline (100 mg twice per day).

Thanks

Last edited by rkr2008; 08-06-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Closed Thread