It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
(female)

sonshyn HB User
out of work

Was reading keys message and about being out of work.
I am married with 8 kids. All of us have lyme. Hubby has had it the longest. We are all on silver and are getting better, but you know it is not an overnight thing.

Hubby got laid off two years ago Dec 31. His unemployment has now run out - awhile ago actually. I and my daughter (18) work part time at our church's daycare. Son (20) is full time at WalMart.

It HAS been nice in that hubby has gotten some rest. He was worked on and off as it has been available. For some time at a company (bad mess) and many odd jobs as they come to him. Right now I would like for him to get a part time job, but he feels if he is going to get a job and be "out there" he needs to make as much money as he can. And if he goes full time he can make between $17 and $20 an hour. The part time job will be like $8 an hour. However, tho many companies say they want him, none have called. He is pretty frustrated and it is just a trying time right now.

We had our electric turned off for 3 days and stayed at a friend's dad's vacation place until a "good samaritan" paid our electric. I am quite sick with the lyme also - good days and bad days and also have 6 children at home the youngest is 3 so I can't really work full time tho a full time position is open. My daughter is in her senior year homeschooling, so she can't work full time either - leaves nothing for school.

Just looking for support. Seems we aren't the only ones with a challenging work situation. It is good cuz you get rest but not good when the bills come due. When hubby works full time - there just isn't much left at all. I know you all know about that. I worked full time for 6 weeks covering maternity leave last dec/jan and i will tell you- i worked and slept and that was it! I was just so worn out! I am better now lymewise than i was then but still have bad flareups now and then.

Glad to be on this message board. Glad for the support and encouragement i see happening here.

Jo out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: out of work

Hi Welcome to the board. I can't imagine having 8 kids and having Lyme let alone them having Lyme also! Wow!

My hat is off to you and your hubby!

How long have you had lyme and what kind of treatments have you done or are doing?

I wish you all luck in your recovery!

Sending you soft hugs!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Hi- wlecome to the board. I am very sorry you are going through such a rough time. You and your family will be in my prayers. I feel for not only the health and work toll but I do not know how you pay for meds! Lyme can be an expensive disease. I am glad you found us and hope we can give you some support. Sounds like y'all are doing as well as you can though! Best wishes to get better or find the strength to deal.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
(male)

1qwerasdf HB User

Quote:
We are all on silver and are getting better
which one are you using?
how long have you been on it?
are you taking any antibiotics?
are you seeing a LLMD?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 AM   #5
(female)

sonshyn HB User

Oh~ hubby now has a full time job. good for the $ but we will see how he does physically. He is not sleeping well and that takes such a toll. But he is going to do this til the end of the year and get us caught up on some things.

Can't believe I forgot to post that!!

Jo

Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Congratulations to Hubby on his new job

Hugs!!!

Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
(female)

sonshyn HB User

Went to eye doc yesterday and the best he could get my right eye is 20/60. not good!!

Last night on the way home as I was coming to grips with my right eye being the way it is, I said to hubby, “I sure could use some good news.”
Apparently God heard me cuz hubby brought several pieces of good news home!
One is that his boss has had (has?) lyme disease! When he lived in Pa. I do not have all the details, but do know he was sick as a dog for 18 months with debilitating headaches, joint pain, and fatigue that was unbelievable. He had not one day of feeling good in over 18 months. He said then it was just like someone flipped a switch and he felt like himself again.
Like I said, I don’t have all the details, but he was one of the 30% who got a bullseye rash. However, even with that it seems he did not go to the doc right away. It was when his headaches got so bad (I surmised from what hubby told me) that he sought a doctor’s care. His GP in Pa actually was very helpful (I think docs know a lot more about lyme in the North). He put him on megadose antibiotics for 90 days then weaned him down gradually over a long period – maybe a year?
His was caught waaay earlier than ours so his treatment had a greater effect in a shorter time. We are not sure he is completely cured as he still has joint pain in his knees, but he does not believe that is lyme, just arthritis. He apparently has no other symptoms or if he does we don’t know and he may not know all the symptoms of chronic lyme.
But. . . at any rate, that was VERY encouraging!
We know he will be understanding of hubby!

The 2nd piece of good news is that hubby may be getting some overtime. Gary (boss) said they don’t mind paying OT if they have the work.
hubby knows almost everyone in the field, and they all know how hubby builds duct so I think he will really be an asset and pull some companies over to his current employer. Ellis had not dealt with this company because they did not deliver – but hubby practically drives past Ellis’ house on the way home and he will take it to him or meet him somewhere so that should increase the business.
Ellis has long said that if hubby ever got his own shop he would make a killing. Believe it or not, it is rare to have everything that someone makes fit right the first time. hubby’s does = providing he gets the right measurements. Once the word gets out that hubby is there I think several companies will be using him.
Some companies have their own shops – but not everyone in those shops can build what hubby can. He can do difficult transitions that usually need to be special ordered out of town. He can build pretty much anything out of ductwork – including a sphere!
He had a good deal of training when he was with the union.

So – that is all good news and I wanted to pass this on as there has been so much not good news lately!

The third item of interest you will have to decide for yourself if it is bad news or good news – I am still deliberating that point myself. .. hubby’s new job is RIGHT around the corner from KRISPY KREME!
Oy!

Last edited by sonshyn; 12-05-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Closed Thread