It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
(male)

Rodney99 HB User
Has anyone had babesia, but a negative PCR?

If you had a negative Babesia PCR, how did you come to know you had babs? Did the doctor treat on symptoms alone? Which symptoms most suggest babesia?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Has anyone had babesia, but a negative PCR?

Hi Rodney. I think the co-infection tests may be more reliable than Lyme tests, but it is still possible to have them and test negative.

Is the PCR the only test you had done for Babesiosis? Did you have the antibody testing done?

Are you seeing a knowledgeable doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kim. Are you taking Mepron and an antibiotic? How long have you been taking it? Make sure you eat something fatty when you take the Mepron or it will not be absorbed properly.

Many people herx on day three and week three of treatment. Good luck!

Last edited by ticker; 12-01-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kim. Is this Dr. H. in NY? He comes very highly recommended.

It is great you are feeling improvement!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Kim, I read your comments and am so glad that you are feleing better, sorry I have not posted in 2 months, I lost the use of my left arm and it has been so painful. I just needed time away to get better and not dwell on the Lyme. I am taking Malarone also and I have felt improvement in the fatigue area. I hope that you are doing well and hope you have a Merry Christmas.
Rodney--I was tested by IGeneX and Quest for Babesia and for WA-1 babesia by IGeneX(because I lived in Cal. and WA ST) I was sure that I had Babesia because of my symptoms, major night sweats, fatigue and when I first got sick I couldn't get out of bed for 3 weeks, chills fever, headache, I dropped 3 clothing sizes in 3 weeks. Last Oct (06) I started Lyme treatment along with my son, he got better, but I didn't, I kept getting worse. I started seeing a new LLMD in Sep. and he immediately diag. Babesia (By clinical symptoms) he explained to me that there are at least a dozen or more different types of Babesia and the labs only test for 2, and WA-1 is only tested if you request it and pay extra for it. And then they can still come up neg. even if you have Babesia. I took Malarone for one month and felt a major improvement, I had to take a month off of it because of the price, but started back up on it a week 1/2 ago, I felt bad the 3rd and 4th day, but today I feel pretty good. Do you have an LLMD that will treat by symptoms only? Because it is absolutely necessary that you treat the co-infections along with the Lyme, to have a successful recovery. Sincerely Sarah

Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
(male)

Rodney99 HB User

Thank you for your advice. I am about to start IV rocephin in a few days and will ask about treating for babesia. I did have night sweats in the beginning. One of my major symptoms is a non-spinning vertigo which can be lyme or babesia, and I would give anything to get rid of it. Is the zithro mepron combo the most effective? Thank you and get well everyone!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney99 View Post
Thank you for your advice. I am about to start IV rocephin in a few days and will ask about treating for babesia. I did have night sweats in the beginning. One of my major symptoms is a non-spinning vertigo which can be lyme or babesia, and I would give anything to get rid of it. Is the zithro mepron combo the most effective? Thank you and get well everyone!
Rodney, I am taking zithro,flagyl & malarone, but I only take the flagyl 3 days a week, the zithro and the flagyl are for the Lyme, the Malarone is for the Babesia. I was on Biaxin & plaquenil for 10 months before I switched to the zithro-flagyl combo. But I have seen the most improvement with fatigue once I started the Malarone. But everyone responds differently to different meds. You just have to find the ones that work best for you. Sarah

Old 12-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Kim, good to hear from you, and glad to hear that you are having less fatigue, I am also, but my arm is such an inconvenience. I never realized how much we take things for granted, like putting my hair in a pony tail, I can't do that, It is so frustrating. I am having my cortisol retested also, the kit should arrive some time this week. I stopped taking my Cortef in July, when I was having the terrible leg pain, it has not come back since I stopped. I'm sorry to hear that your levels are still low, hang in there!! We will get better. Do you like your new LLMD better? MY new LLMD is very nice, I really like him and it is alot easier to drive to Louisiana than fly to CT. Sincerely, Sarah

Old 12-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
(male)

Rodney99 HB User

Kim, Did the lyme cause the adrenal fatigue? How did you find out you had low cortisol. I have been wondering if this is the case with my because since I've had lyme I can't tolerate my thyroid meds. And as I understand it you need good adrenals to handle the thyroid replacements...did you do saliva or blood testing? What symptoms are low adrenals?...thanks in advance.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
(male)

Rodney99 HB User

which saliva test kit do you recommend? Can you get the results yourself or does it have to be your doc?

Closed Thread