It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
(male)

Rodney99 HB User
question about Lyme and Thyroid

This may be a good question for Ticker because I remember you saying you are hypothyroid and Lyme infected. I was diagnosed as mild HypoT in 2004. Took synthroid at 100mcg for 2 years with no problems. Didn't feel any different on the synthroid but docs said my tsh was 1.98 down from 6.5 so I was perfect. Anyway, july 2006 I got bit my a tick, and in aug I started to get this wierd dizziness and tingling along with all the other lyme things. I noticed that when I take synthroid the dizziness is much more severe..almost unbearable. When I started cutting back on my synthroid I can at least function. Not taking any feels better, but as my thyroid gets too far out of whack, I get other problems. So I take a low dose and my tsh is 5.0 but t3 and t4 are midrange normal. SOOO the question is: Does anyone know of any information about Lyme interferring with synthroid or thyroid hormones? Why would It make me feel so bad when docs say synthroid can't make you dizzy unless you take too much? Help.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: question about Lyme and Thyroid

Hi Rodney. So your symptoms did not improve since taking the Synthroid? The problem with many doctors regarding thyroid disorders is that they rely soley on TSH results. More important are the Free T3 and Free T4 levels and the patient's symptoms.

There are different meds to treat hypothyroidism. Meds such as Synthroid is a T4 only med. Meds such as Armour is a T3/T4 med. Some people do better on T4 only, some do better on the T3/T4. I started with Synthroid but now take Amrour which works better for me.

I highly recommend getting your Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3 and T4) and thyroid antibodies tested in addition to the normal panel. These are important tests, but they are not usually done. If antibodies are present, it indicates Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is an auto-immune thyroid disorder. If you have this, test results can be in the normal range but treatment is warranted. Some people who have this, switch between periods of hypo and hyperthyroidism. If you need help with your results, let me know.

You may want to see another doctor. I have found that finding one who is truly knowledgeable about thyroid disorders can be almost as difficult as it is to find a knowledgeable Lyme doctor. It is worth the search though. Many symptoms of Lyme and thyroid disorders can overlap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
(male)

Rodney99 HB User
Re: question about Lyme and Thyroid

Thanks Ticker. I do have my free t's checked ...they are mid normal. The weird thing is that since I got Lyme I cannot tolerate my thyroid meds! I actually feel BETTER with a higher tsh. It's so weird. I used to feel find with 100mcg synthroid and a tsh of 2.0. Now I can't even tolerate more than 25mcg syntroid and my tsh is 5.68...confusing. BTW..I don't have thyroid anti-bodies. Doctor's can't explain why I am hypo.

Closed Thread