It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

hope63 HB User
Lyme Test

My son has contracted lyme three times. He was put on 4 weeks of antibotics and about a week after finishing his med. He was retest and comes up postive again. The doc. said we will retest him again, just for your piece of mind, but it will eventually be neg. He was retest and results were postive again and the antibodies higher and doc. are calling this normal. Is this correct? I look forward to any suggestion.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

hope63 HB User
Re: Lyme Test

Hi
Thank you. That is what I thought, but I cannot get a doctor to listen. He is having different symptons then he has had before. Yes he was tested for some of the other disease that you mentioned. HGA or Anaplamosis he was came back postive for but they refused to treat him because he is not showing signs. He is 6 and amoxicillian seems to be the drug of choice. I know this now cure the other infection. They say he is too young fo doxcycline. I really need to find a doctor in my area. Any suggestion, I would be greatly for.
I live in Hackettstown New Jeresy.

Thank you for any suggestion or recommendations

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi hope63. According to the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease," instead of Doxy, Rifampin can be used to treat children with Ehrlichiosis. If he has this, it needs to be treated.

There is only one Lyme pediatrician in the country that I know of: Dr. Charles Ray Jones in New Haven, CT. I suggest calling his office. Maybe he could consult with your son's doctor.

I know of two Lyme doctors in NJ, but I don't know if they treat children. They are Dr. Emilia Eiras in Jackson and Dr. Leslie Fein in West Caldwell.

I hope your son can get properly treated soon. You are a good mom!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
(female)

hope63 HB User

Hi
You seem very knowledgable. Have you had Lyme or any of the other infections? Thank you, and thank you for all your advise and help. I am also trying to understand the lab reports.
Sometimes they come back with specific bands and other times the lab report only read Igg/Igm and a number, What could this mean?

Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi hope63. I have had Lyme and four co-infections.

The Western Blot test lists a series of numerical bands with a + - or IND after each one. The IgM tests for a more recent infeciton and the IgG a longer standing one. It is better to be tested at a Lyme lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. They use more sensitive testing and list more bands on the Western Blot.

No test for Lyme is completely reliable. On the Western Blot, the CDC requires several bands to be present for it to be positive; however, many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands. Lyme knowledgeable doctors often look at which bands are present. Some are specific for Lyme.

If you want to post the results, I can help you interpret them.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 AM   #6
(female)

hope63 HB User

hi
Have you recovered completely? My son lab result tested within the last three weeks, came back once reading Igg/Igm 1.62 and listing of bands. The second time Igg/Igm 2.15 and again no listing of bands. The Igg and Igm were combined. Doc is trying to tell me this is normal. He also tested Igm for Anaplamosis 1.40. I I believe the range for that one was anything less than 1.20 was considered in range. So when I ask for the test to be repeated the tested for the wrong species. The doctor will not return my calls. His CBC this last time came back normal except for his Ensophils were alittle high.
I truly apprecitate your thoughts and help.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:58 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Bill S HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope63;33***78
Hi
Thank you. That is what I thought, but I cannot get a doctor to listen. He is having different symptons then he has had before. Yes he was tested for some of the other disease that you mentioned. HGA or Anaplamosis he was came back postive for but they refused to treat him because he is not showing signs. He is 6 and amoxicillian seems to be the drug of choice. I know this now cure the other infection. They say he is too young fo doxcycline. I really need to find a doctor in my area. Any suggestion, I would be greatly for.
I live in Hackettstown New Jeresy.

Thank you for any suggestion or recommendations
Hope63,

Your son could be put on Cefzil, which is what I took. It appears to be safe for children. See here: [url]http://www.drugs.com/ppa/cefprozil.html[/url]

From what you are saying, it appears that you need to chastise your doc and then fire him. Find a LLMD here:

[url]http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Doctor_Referrals.html[/url]

If your doc isn't being helpful, get another one who will be. You don't want to waste time with this one, let me tell you.

Last edited by Bill S; 12-12-2007 at 03:00 AM.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
(female)

hope63 HB User

Hi Bill,
I took him back yesterday and they confirmed that he does not have ehrilica, but felt he did not need anymore med. We are going to retest at the end of the month. I have heard many conflicting answers to this question... Does the bacteria actually die and exits the body or not?

Old 12-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi hope. I recommend having him tested through IgeneX. It is more expensive, but I believe the tests are more accurate.

How is he feeling?

Old 12-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Bill S HB User

Hope,

I would also suggest Igenex testing, and get the co-infections tested for as well.

Don't waste precious time with a doc who isn't open-minded enough to think outside the box. Get a LLMD referral and get him tested.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
(female)

hope63 HB User

Hi,
I actually got a doctor to help me. She is going on symptons. His knee is a little swollen and complains of stomach pains. Over the weekend he spiked a fever of 103 and it was gone. Also complains of shoulder pain. she is, as I type this trying to find the best med. to put him on he is not 8 yet. He was on Amox. for 4 weeks so I was concerned if we should continue with the same one or change med. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Hope. I am glad you found a doctor who is willing to help. Maybe she could consult with Dr. Charles Jones in New Haven, CT? He is the best Lyme pediatrician. From all I have heard, he and his staff are wonderful. He could recommend what is best for your son.

Do you believe the Ehrlichiosis is gone? If not, this should likely be treated first. I believe Rifampin can be used in children who are too young to take Doxy.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
(female)

hope63 HB User

hi Ticker,
the infectious disease doc. wants to retest him at the end of the month and put him on med. she does not think he needs them at this time. Now I filled a prescription for Ceftin, but I did not give it to him because the Lab told me it would interfer with test results. I now have to call the other doc. who prescrbe the med. I hope I did the right thing. Your thoughts?

Closed Thread