It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
(male)

Unlucky Lyme HB User
Doxy Questions

Hi, If someone can answer I'd appreciate it. I'm on doxycycline IV daily. Doxycycline is only bacteriostatic, meaning it inhibits the bacteria but does not kill them. It prevents the bacteria from reproducing, therefore relying on the body's immune system to kill the bacteria. And in time the bacteria load becomes smaller and smaller. I'm going to ask my LLMD doctor about this because it seems like if my immune system is already compromised, how can I expect it to be working well enough to kill this bacteria?

Is this drug just a waste of time or should I get on antibiotics like Rocephin that kill bacteria by interfering with the ability of bacteria to form cell walls. The bacteria therefore break up and die. It's all just too confusing to me and I am very frustrated in my progress.

Perhaps I should quit reading too much and wait a few more months and see if I get any better results.

Last edited by Unlucky Lyme; 12-08-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
(male)

Unlucky Lyme HB User
Re: Doxy Questions

I guess nobody knows. Thank's for reading. I'll just ask my LLMD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: Doxy Questions

Hi Unlucky.

I often wondered this myself. Why don't doctors prescribe both at the same time to cover all bases?

I've been on all kinds of antibiotics: Ceftin, Omnicef, Biaxin, Doxy, Malarone, Tindamax, Levaquin, IV Rocephin and IV Zithromax.

The only one of all those that seems to work for me is the Levaquin, which my LLMD prescribed on a hunch for Bartonella (even though I had tested negative for it twice).

For me personally, I trust my LLMD. She's been at this a lot longer than I have and has seen hundreds of patients, so I tend to trust what she chooses for my protocol.

You may want to ask your LLMD thier opinion or, feel free to recommend that you be put on both bacteriostatic and bacteriocidal. Questions and answers are free.

Hang in there and try not to worry, oaky?

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Closed Thread