It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

kdmari HB User
Need advice... can hepatitis vaccination be harmful for lyme sufferers?

I have probable lyme disease but am not yet diagnosed. Have been having symptoms for over 10 years, following bite and bullseye rash and have been chronic for the past 2. I'm going back to see my rheumatologist soon to get the results of my latest Lyme tests and to see where to go with this next. But my question is....

My husband and I have friends living in Asia right now and would like to visit them in the spring, providing my health allows it at the time. Hep A & B vaccinations are strongly recommended for travelling there and we were planning to get those soon. HowEVER... we're wondering if vaccinations would be a good idea considering my Lyme symptoms. Along with my long-standing fatigue/dizziness/muscle&joint pain, vision problems, etc, I've been experiencing a lot of chest pains, palpitations and shortness of breath lately. I know that while generally considered perfectly safe, there have been cases where vaccinations have done a lot of damage to people's health and I don't want to do anything that might potentially complicate my current health situation. I will, of course, speak to my doctor about this. But if any of you know of any potential hazards with hepatitis vaccinations, please let me know. I'm aiming to get my health BACK, not make it worse.

Thanks...

kd

Old 12-12-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Bill S HB User
Re: Need advice... can hepatitis vaccination be harmful for lyme sufferers?

My LLMD didn't want me to get the flu shots this winter. He said that my immune system hadn't fully recovered from my bout of Lymes. (his office DOES offer the shots to some patients though). He has me on high dose Vitamin-D3 (4000IU) and he said that should go a long way to keeping me well this winter. We'll see.

I'd talk to the doc about this, but my suspicion is that you'll be advised to wait til you have recovered first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
(female)

kdmari HB User

Thanks for your reply Bill. I will talk to my doctor about this, but I have a strong feeling we'll be putting that trip on hold.

I sure hope the Vitamin D works for you!

kd

Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Bill S HB User

The vitamin-D has been working out fine. My levels were pretty good last I was tested. I also don't get the winter blahs anymore from lack of sun...

Plus it appears to reduce the risk of some cancers, so an extra plus.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi kd. I am not a doctor, but I agree that getting the shots may overload your immune system. I think it is better to be safe than sorry.

When you see a Lyme doctor, I would ask him/her about this.

Closed Thread