It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
Differnce in IV and picc line

What is the difference in a IV and picc line? My doctor said next month I will be going on IV rocephin and when I said picc line, he said no.

But after everything I read I cannot tell a difference. Is there? I seen a few videos on ******* of people taking the picc line out, and oh my god, it looks terrible!!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Differnce in IV and picc line

Hi fernee. What kind of line did the doctor say it will be?

How long will you be on Rocephin? Usually a line is either a PICC line or a port-catheter which is surgically placed in the chest. The PICC line is more common in most cases. Otherwise a temporary line is used but has to be replaced every few days.

Getting a PICC line is a very simple process. It seems scary, but it is not. You will feel a stick when they insert the line, but it should not be bad. They will thread the line up and take an X-ray to make sure it is in the proper place. A nurse usually shows you how to infuse the meds yourself and will supervise you until you are comfortable doing them on your own. It sounds overwhelming, but it is really easy once you get the hang of it.

The most important thing about an IV line is to keep it clean and dry at all times. If there is ever any question about how it looks or feels, call your doctor or nurse immediately. An infection could be deadly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
Re: Differnce in IV and picc line

Well the LLMD doctor said we would start with the 30 days and see what happens. The first time he mentioned this he said just 30 days and then on the next visit when I mentioned how people on here are on meds for longer that that, he said that would be the start.

I had also said picc line when he mentioned it but he said no, an IV line and I would have to see a nurse once a week to clean it. So I am not sure.

The other doctor I am going to see did not say yet.

Closed Thread